We have an exciting opportunity for a Specialty Doctor to join the Early Intervention in Psychosis (Community) team based at Britton House in Gillingham, Kent.
We believe in changing lives through giving excellent care that improves people's mental health and now is a great time to be part of the KMPT family.
This is a 10 PA post however the Trust would welcome a discussion with individuals looking for a more flexible working pattern to support work-life balance.
Applicants must have full registration with the GMC including licence to practice.
MHA Section 12(2) Approval holders will contribute to a middle-tier non-residential on call rota. Specialty doctors who do not hold Section 12 (2) Approval are expected to work towards this and will be supported to do so.
Main duties of the job
Early Intervention in Psychosis (EIP) Services were first described in the National Service Framework (1999) and in the related Policy Implementation Guide (2013). These services are for young people aged 14 to 65 years experiencing a first episode of psychosis. EIP services work to reduce the Duration of Untreated Psychosis (DUP). By reducing DUP and working intensively and holistically with the young person and their families, the service works towards a goal of recovery.
EIP services have been shown to be clinically effective and cost effective and are recommended by NICE within a number of guidelines: psychosis & schizophrenia (2014); bipolar disorder (2010) and the psychosis and schizophrenia in children and young people guideline (2013). They are also valued by service users and carers alike (Schizophrenia Commission, 2012).
Come and work with us in the Garden of England where we combine exceptional professional development opportunities with a tremendous quality of life.
We are Kent and Medway NHS and Social Care Partnership Trust (KMPT), providing mental health, learning disability and specialist services, serving 1.8 million people across the county.
The Trust (rated Good overall by the CQC and Outstanding for care) has 3,283 staff working in 66 buildings across 33 locations, covering an area of 1,450 square miles.
You will be joining friendly, passionate colleagues, rich in their diversity, who are committed to providing excellent care to our service users and their loved ones.
The nature of our work attracts kindness and compassion as standard and everyone from our cleaners and porters to the chief executive and chairman are recognised as playing a vital role in providing an exemplary service.
Job description Job responsibilities
For detailed information regarding the role, please refer to the attached job description and person specification.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Eligible for full registration with the GMC at time of appointment
- Evidence of achievement of Foundation competencies by time of appointment in line with GMC standards in Good Medical Practice
- Eligibility to work in the UK
Fitness To Practice Essential
- Applicant's knowledge is up to date and fit to practise safely
Language Skills Essential
- Applicants to have demonstrable skills in written and spoken English that are adequate to enable effective communiation about medical topics with patients and colleagues
Clinical Skills Essential
- Acute care safe: Out of hours experience relevant to the job
- Relevant specialty clinical knowledge: capacity to apply sound clinical knowledge relevant to the job
- Clinical judgement: experience in making clinical decisions and managing risk. Knows when to seek help, able to prioritise clinical need
- Practical skills: shows aptitude for practical skills, required in the job
- Proven ability to work effectively in different clinical settings required in the job
- ALS instructors certificate
- Specialty knowledge exam
Clinical governance Essential
- Capacity to be alert to dangers or problems. Demonstrates awareness of good decision making. Aware of own limitations. Track record of engaging in clinical governance: reporting errors, learning from errors.
- Audit: evidence of active participation in audit
- Teaching: evidence of interest and experience in teaching where required in the job
- Research: demonstrates understanding of the principles of research, evidence of relevant academic and research achievements.
- Teaching: evidence of experience in teaching were required in the job.
Communication Skills Essential
- Effective communication skills: demonstrates clarity in written/spoken communication and capacity to adapt language as appropriate to the situation
- Empathy and sensitivity: capacity to listen and take in others' perspectives
- Works in partnership with patients: always considers patients preferences when discussing treatment options
- Always considers the full impact of clinical decisions on the patients, Practice shared decision making.
- Directs and supports patients to access the information they need to support decision making.
- 360 feedback
- Patient survey feedback and reflections
Personal skills Essential
- Team working: demonstrated experience working in a team, values the input of other professionals in the team
- Managing others & team involvement: capacity to work co-operatively with others and demonstrate leadership when appropriate.
- Coping with pressure: capacity to operate under pressure. Demonstrates initiative and resilience to cope with setbacks & adapt to rapidly changing circumstances
- Problem solving & decision making: capacity to use logical/lateral thinking to solve problems & make decisions
- Organisation & planning: capacity to organise oneself and priortise own work. Demonstrates punctuality, preparation and self-discipline . Understands importance of information technology
- Flexible approach to work: able to adapt and work with employers to deliver improved patient care.
- Equality and diversity: promotes equality and values diversity
- Leadership skills: experience in leadership
- Demonstrates skills needed for effective delegation within the team: 360? feedback
- Driver with a valid license
Application Completion Essential
- All sections of application form Fully completed
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.