Senior Occupational Therapist - 22.50 hours per week, fixed term. Development Opportunity / secondment considered.
The Community acquired brain injury service is seeking a forward thinking and dynamic band 6 Occupational Therapist to cover maternity leave.
We cover a large geographical area of natural beauty incorporating the Solway coastline and the Lake District National Park. The post is based in Carlisle and is part of a team of highly specialised therapists working to an IDT model of care.
The team is made up of Occupational Therapy, Speech & Language Therapy, Neuro Psychology, Rehabilitation Assistant, Physiotherapy, Case Management supported by Clinical and Team Lead. Patients are supported in a variety of settings with the aim of maximising independence, focussed on individual goal planning. The role will support the time-limited rehabilitation working autonomously and to pre-set rehabilitation programmes.
Referrals come from a variety of sources including Acute and community based and specialist tertiary centres. You will have close working relationships with a diverse range of other services including other community services, Acute Care, Mental Health services, Adult Social Care and third sector providers and charitable organisations.
This is an opportunity to work in an area of highly specialist community rehabilitation alongside other skilled colleagues.
The post-holder will deliver services across the working week.
Main duties of the job
Please see attached documents for detailed job description for each profession.
Take part in a Triage roster and weekly IDT meetings supporting the delivery of rehab for complex patients
Provide high quality, effective holistic assessment of patients' needs according to professional expertise and lead in the implementation of an appropriate plan.
Utilise assistant members of the team in the provision of rehabilitation and/or home care services through delegation and effective communication.
Link with other agencies such as social services, PCN colleagues and the voluntary sector to sign post and ensure patients' needs are met.
Provide appraisal and supervision to assistants and home care practitioner staff within the team. Fabulous development opportunity & secondment considered
At NCIC, we have an ambition to deliver outstanding hospital and health services to half a million people. Established on 1st October 2019, the Trust is creating a centre of excellence in providing rural and remote healthcare and provides a wide range of community and acute services throughout north Cumbria and beyond. We're responsible for delivering over 70 services across 15 main locations and we employ more than 6,500 members of staff.
Our 5 key principles demonstrate our belief in the delivery of 'safe, high quality care every time'.
- Being a clinically led organisation
- Quality and safety at the heart
- A positive patient experience every time
- A great place to work
- Managing our money well
As an organisation we are serious about supporting a diverse workforce that reflects our local community and are very much focused on being an inclusive and compassionate place to work.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please see attached Job description and person specification for further information regarding the role and the essential and desirable criteria required to be met by applicants.
Relocation assistance may be available for successful applicants moving to the region for certain posts. Please see our policy for eligible vacancies? Healthcare Professionals returning to practice, moving into new roles or changing clinical environments, may access an agreed preceptorship period.
- Please ensure that you document evidence of meeting all the essential criteria in the supporting information.
- If sufficient response is received this post could be closed earlier than the specified closing date, please apply as soon as possible to ensure that your application is considered.
Candidates who have been successfully shortlisted for interview will be asked via an email notification to log on to their Trac account to select an interview time. This will usually be within 2 weeks of the closing date.
For candidates applying using a Hotmail account or have strict firewall settings please ensure the following:
Disclosure and Barring Service:
- Junk Mail is checked regularly
On 28 November 2020, the new Disclosure and Barring Service filtering rules will come into effect.
The changes mean that:
- youth cautions, reprimands and final warnings will no longer be subject to automatic disclosure
- the multiple conviction rule has been removed, meaning that if an individual has more than one conviction, regardless of offence type or time passed, each conviction will be considered against the remaining rules individually, rather than being automatically disclosed.
If you are unsure about whether you need to disclose certain criminal record information, free confidential advice may be sought from one of the charity bodies listed below. These bodies can advise you on what you are legally required to declare and may also be able to advise you on how you can disclose criminal record information to a prospective employer and your legal rights when doing so.
Nacro Tel: 0300 123 1999, or email: email@example.com
Unlock Tel: 01634 247350, email
firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the
online form on the Unlock website
The Trust is committed to safeguarding adults and children therefore if the post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA) 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended) the successful candidate(s) will be subject to a criminal records check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). The cost of the DBS must be met by the successful candidate(s) through salary deduction. DBS charges are as follows if applicable to the post:
Standard Check: £18 + Administration cost of £3.85 = £21.85. Deducted at £6.85 from 1st month salary and £5 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
Enhanced Check: £38 + administration cost of £3.90 = £41.90. Deducted at £11.90 from 1st month salary and £10 deducted from salary over following 3 months.
As part of the one of the largest employers in the UK NCIC future employees will have also access to the following benefits.
A lease car may be available for this position; further details will be provided upon appointment if applicable.
27 day holiday scheme rising to 33 after 10 years
Flexible working Scheme
Excellent opportunities for development
Competitive NHS Pension scheme
Access to NHS discounts with retailers and leisure companies
EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) a free, confidential counselling and information service to assist with personal or work-related problems
These schemes are subject to availability
Person Specification Skills Essential
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Good organisational and time management skills
- Ability to organise workload of self and others
- Ability to motivate self and others
- Relevant practical occupational therapy skills
- The post holder needs good IT skills, the ability to input data, communicate via email and search for evidence based practice
- Good Knowledge of Evidence Based Clinical Practice within Rehabilitation
- Good Knowledge of Continuing Professional Development/Lifelong Learning
- Knowledge and understanding of Clinical Governance including Risk Management
- Knowledge of management of patients with long-term conditions and falls
- Knowledge of clinical audit and outcome measures, and their use in service improvement
- Degree in occupational therapy
- HCPC registered
- Evidence of attendance at relevant post graduate courses
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development
- Experience of working within the NHS
- Experience of working within the NHS
- Experience of working within a community setting.
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Patient focused
- Friendly and approachable
- Able to travel independently, (and at times) transport patients and /or equipment across the locality
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Employer details Employer name
North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
https://www.ncic.nhs.uk/ (Opens in a new tab)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.