**THE JOB DESCRIPTION FOR THIS POST IS PENDING ROYAL COLLEGE APPROVAL**
As part of the expanding and developing service, EPUT is looking forward to welcoming an enthusiastic and able new consultant who will build on expanding the service in order to continue to provide good outcomes for the women, infants, fathers/partners and their families.
The post-holder will serve the needs of patients in the South West Essex area. The Perinatal Mental Health Service provides a multidisciplinary, comprehensive specialist service in the community for the assessment and treatment of women with moderate to severe mental illnesses in pregnancy and postnatally across the county of Essex.
The Base will be at Pride House, Laindon, but all staff, including the consultant psychiatrist, provide care in various settings as required (this could be outpatient clinics, patient's homes, maternity units either in community or obstetric hospital wards, and other agreed suitable settings). The safety of our staff is ensured via robust Trust policies and good team support. There are 3 clinics a week (5 sessions in total). There are 4 new patients a week over a total of 17.
Main duties of the job
You will be required to work independently and accountably as part of a team of clinicians offering Mental Health services.
You will be expected to develop excellent working relationships with all other related services including Primary care, Maternity services, Health visiting, Community adult mental health teams, Adult Psychology team, IAPT, Social care and Voluntary sector agencies.
You will clinically covering the areas of South West Essex which includes close partnership with Basildon Maternity Unit. The post holder will share the trust wide roles required within the Service with the other Consultants. The Service works in partnership with maternity services and the post holder will provide care and liaise closely with maternity staff for women delivering in Basildon Hospital.
You must have full GMC registration and be on the Specialist Register, with an appropriate CCT or equivalent or be within six months of obtaining your CCT on the date of the AAC.
To be the leading health and wellbeing service in the provision of mental health and community care.
We care for people every day. What we do together, matters.
Our strategic objectives
We will deliver safe, high quality integrated care services.
We will enable each other to be the best that we can.
We will work together with our partners to make our services better.
We will help our communities to thrive.
If you share that vision and want to make a difference to the people that use our services, then please contact us to find out more.
EPUT are looking for motivated staff who shares our Trust values of Open, Compassionate and Empowering. In return, EPUT can offer you a range of benefits and development including;
- Season Ticket Loan
- NHS discounts for staff
- Excellent Training facilities and opportunities
- Buying and Selling annual leave scheme
- The opportunity to work bank shifts and expand knowledge and experience in other areas
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars and Cycle to Work
Job description Job responsibilities
- Understand the prediction, prevention, detection and management of mental disorder in pregnant and postnatal woman, the interrelationship between mental disorder and pregnancy and the postnatal period and the wider effects of mental disorder on child development.
- Diagnose and formulate management plans in complex cases, including decisions on prescribing in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Assess and manage risk including suicide risk, risks in relation to the pregnancy, and risk to children.
- Deliver care which responds to maternity timescales.
- Provide prescribing advice on psychotropic medication in pregnancy and breastfeeding to General Psychiatry colleagues, maternity and primary care services and any other professionals.
- Provide preconception counselling advice to woman with pre-existing mental health problems and their partners /carers.
- Provide expert assessment of the mother-infant relationship in the context of maternal mental disorder.
- Work in a collaborative way with maternity services, primary care, health visiting and child social service to ensure optimum outcomes for the patient and her child.
- The post holder will have a continuing responsibility for the care of patients in their care, whilst undertaking administrative duties associated with patient care.
- To be an active member of the Multi-Disciplinary Team.
- To participate in the clinical meetings.
- To take leadership in the on-going expansion of the Service with senior colleagues within the team.
- To liaise and interface successfully with stakeholders in adult services.
- To facilitate joint working, case consultation or case transfer.
- To liaise successfully with stakeholders and partners in other agencies.
- To provide in-service training and supervision to other Multi-Disciplinary Team members.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- Full registration with the General Medical Council and on the Specialist Register.
- Meets Royal College of Psychiatrists criteria for appointment to the post of Consultant.
- Section 12 Approval and Approved Clinician Status
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- CCT in general adult psychiatry
- Postgraduate degree in psychiatry MRC Psych or equivalent.
- Additional clinical qualifications.
Clinical skills, knowledge & experience Essential
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty.
- Experience working with patients presenting to secondary care mental health services with a range of disturbance including mental illness and personality disorder.
- Appreciation and understanding of social factors and ethnic minority issues and a commitment to developing culturally sensitive practice.
- Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others.
- Experience in supervising trainee doctors and SAS doctors
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.