SLaM provides the liaison psychiatry service to Guy's and St Thomas' Foundation Trust across both their hospital sites. As a result of GSTT having merged with Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospital Trust, we are looking to recruit consultant psychiatrist input to their liaison service.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, committed, and highly skilled liaison psychiatry service at two tertiary specialist hospitals in London.
This post is 8 sessions with the possibility of an additional 2 sessions at Guy's Hospital.
Main duties of the job
The clinical work involves seeing patients on the medical and surgical wards as well as an outpatient clinic, which include referrals for pre-transplant patients and patients with chronic physical illnesses.
The post is mostly based at The Royal Brompton Hospital but requires travel to Harefield Hospital one day per week. The post was previously held by a liaison psychiatrist working remotely. There will be an emphasis on service development with the team leader, Gemma Tunnell.
The Trust is committed to improving the work experience of all employees under 'Making SLaM a Great Place to Work'. There are different streams of work being developed to address different aspects of this as well as work to improve the consultant experience led by the Medical Director and open to interested consultants. This work includes making an explicit offer to StartWell Consultants and also considering the needs of consultants long-term with professional development opportunities as well as addressing the need to have flexibility in how they work while prioritising the needs of the patients under our care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please see the attached Job Description.
The post holder will be responsible for the provision of liaison psychiatry and psychiatric medical assessment and treatment of adult patients (aged 18 years and upwards) at Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospitals and will provide clinical leadership to the liaison psychiatry service. They will work directly with the Lead Nurse for Mental Health (cross-site) and a Clinical Nurse Specialist in mental health at each site, and collaboratively with the clinical psychology team, on both sites of the Clinical Group.
Person Specification Qualifications Desirable
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists qualification liaison psychiatry, home treatment or addictions
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- Experience in other relevant specialties such as in patient psychiatry
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Evidence for inclusion in the Specialist Register or within six months of gaining CCT in general adult psychiatry.
- Approved Clinician status or able to achieve within three months of appointment
- Accreditation in liaison psychiatry
Clinical Skills, Knowledge, Experience Essential
- Evidence of excellent knowledge in specialty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Evidence of range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
Academic Skills Essential
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training
- Participated in research or service evaluation
- Has actively participated in clinical audit and quality improvement programmes
- Able to plan and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training relevant to this post
- Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation
- Evidence of achievement in education, research, audit and service improvement: awards, prizes, presentations and publications
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.