Band 7 - 0.7 WTE Psychotherapist Open to: Child and Adolescent Psychoanalytic Psychotherapists (CAPs) who are registered with the ACP and Counselling/Clinical Psychologists.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and creative Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist/ Counselling or Clinical Psychologist with CAMHS experience and an interest in delivering psychodynamic treatment in primary schools, to work in the socially and ethnically diverse borough of Newham.
Applicants who have experience and an appreciation of some of the richness and complexities of working inter-culturally are welcomed. This post is part of a comprehensive Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service, within the East London NHS Foundation Trust.
The successful candidate will be part of a stimulating and supportive multidisciplinary child and adolescent mental health team. There is a strong commitment to clinical supervision and professional development within CAMHS and the wider NHS Foundation Trust including many learning and teaching opportunities.
In addition to direct therapeutic work, which may include some small group work and work with parents, the post holder will be available to consult to staff about children and to develop other ways of supporting the school's pastoral work, such as delivering training to staff on aspects of child mental health and emotional and behavioural problems.
This is a fixed-term post for 12 months.
The post holder would need to be available to work on a Thursday afternoon.
Main duties of the job
This role is part of Newham CAMHS TOPS Service (Therapeutic Outreach in Primary Schools) and the designated school has a long history of having a Child Psychotherapist in this role.
The post holder will also represent the Child Psychotherapy/Clinical Psychology discipline and contribute to a positive working environment within the wider CAMHS multi-disciplinary Emotional and Behavioural team. In this team, the post-holder will be contributing to MDT assessments of children and adolescents and providing specialist psychological or psychoanalytically informed(for CAPs), treatment to young people and their parents and carers. This team is currently developing a specialist Under-Fives pathway for Child Psychotherapy, and has an established pathway for STPP (Short Term Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy) with adolescents.
The post-holder, if a CAP will also work as part of the Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy team offering assessments and treatment to children and their parents and carers. The post-holder will require a high degree of professional autonomy and will be required to account for their professional practice through appraisal and audit.
The post-holder will be based one day a week in a local primary school providing assessment and once-weekly brief to medium term psychodynamic therapy as appropriate to children within the school setting. Newly qualified clinicians as well as more experienced clinicians are very welcome to apply for this post.
Newham CAMHS is a large and vibrant specialist child and adolescent mental health service with a reputation for innovation and flexibility in meeting the complex mental health support needs of Newham's children, young people and families. It is centrally located on one site in Plaistow, Newham, and provides an extensive and growing range of services including multi-disciplinary specialist teams such as the Emotional & Behavioural Teams, Adolescent Mental Health Team, Paediatric Liaison Team, Neurodevelopmental Team, Looked After Children Team and Social Care/Early Help Team.
There is a long tradition of effective multidisciplinary and interagency working. The service undertakes considerable outreach and consultation work.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations.
Job description Job responsibilities
For a more detailed job description and person specification please see attached JD &PS.
If you are interested in this post and would like more information please contact Vicky Lynch (Senior Child and Adolescent Psychotherapist): email@example.com or 0208 430 9000 (on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays).
Person Specification Education/ Qualification/ Training Essential
- Honours degree
- Postgraduate Diploma/ MA in Psychoanalytic Observational Studies or recognised equivalent for CAPs
- Minimum Masters level in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy: Child and Adolescent.
- Registered member of ACP or BPS as appropriate
- Experience of intensive and non-intensive psychodynamic interventions with individual children, parents and adolescents.
- Experience of offering psychoanalytic interventions employing brief models
- Knowledge and experience of working with Child Protection issues and mental health problems
- Experience in some area of clinical specialisation
- Experience and understanding of working with children and families from a diverse ethnic and cultural background, and families with a high level of deprivation
Knowledge and Skills Essential
- Knowledge of psychoanalytic theory and an understanding of implication for clinical activity.
- Knowledge of recent legislation and its implications for both clinical practice and professional management and mental health in relation to children, young people and their families.
- Advanced practical knowledge in area of specialisation.
- Knowledge, understanding and experience with diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and families with a high level of deprivation
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.