We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated Consultant psychiatrist to form part of a high calibre consultant peer group in the heart of London and to work in an established multidisciplinary community mental health team in Westminster.
We are inclusive and people focussed. We offer a range of development opportunities to build and expand consultant clinical and leadership portfolios both for newly qualified and established consultants. We welcome applications from candidates within 6 months of CCT.
Main duties of the job
This is a 10 PA full time RCPsych approved substantive consultant psychiatrist role in West End PCN General adult community mental health team in South Westminster at 190 Vauxhall Bridge road, London SW1V 1DX. The post holder will provide consultant clinical leadership for the team and will be clinical supervisor for a core psychiatric trainee (CT1-3), a higher psychiatric trainee (ST4-6) and a specialty doctor (staff grade psychiatrist). There is an Additional 1 PA clinical lead role in Adult mental health services available for a suitable candidate.
- Provide senior medical responsibility for the patients managed by the team and to support and contain all members of the multidisciplinary team
- Support recruitment and ensure optimal retention of team members and uphold morale
- Ensure good service quality and performance
- Ensure GPs and primary care clinicians are supported to provide mental health care
- Optimise links with voluntary sector partners to support patient care
- Ensure training needs of psychiatry trainees and medical students are met as well as supporting training of other junior clinical staff
CNWL is one of the largest trusts in the UK, caring for people with a wide range of physical and mental health needs. We provide healthcare to a third of London, Milton Keynes and parts of Kent, Surrey and Hampshire. Over recent years our catchment area has grown significantly, making the Trust's population more diverse than ever
The post sits within the Jameson Division in Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust, which holds mental health services within the inner London boroughs of Westminster and Kensington & Chelsea and the outer boroughs of Brent and Harrow. On call duties include covering the inpatient base at St Charles hospital and St Mary's or Chelsea Westminster A&Es. There is a middle/second on call tier through higher trainees and first on call provision is provided by 3 resident junior doctors. The post holder will be part of a consultant peer group in South Westminster.
Westminster adult mental health service provides a range of mental health services for adults across the age range within the community and in hospital settings. These are integrated health and social care services. Many services across the Boroughs of Westminster and Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea are now integrated because of the synergies of the two patches, with members of the senior management often having overarching responsibilities.
Job description Job responsibilities Principal Clinical duties of post holder Provide senior clinical advice and support to the daily triage, MDT and other regular clinical team meetings Ensure that all referrals are triaged daily and responded to in a timely way Assessment of new patients and clinical supervision of assessments carried out by other team members Review complex needs patients to ensure appropriate care packages are put in place Mental Health Act related-work Domiciliary visits to provide assessment and treatment services as a member of the CMH Domiciliary assessments in response to emergencie Occasional psychiatric assessments of residents who may be in crisis in another borough Ensure that physical health needs are addresse Review and monitoring of the caseload to ensure appropriate care packages are put in place and discharges facilitated to maintain patient flow Develop good working relationships with local GPs and other provider Provide mental health advice and support to GPs and primary care clinicians by surgery visits and other means, to assist patient management in the primary care setting Close liaison with the wards to facilitate admission and discharge planning Liaison with CRHTT, Psychiatric Liaison Services, AMHP services and Forensic Services in the borough Develop working relationships with local voluntary sector services in order to support and promote recover Following the cross-cover protocol that has been agreed with another team or colleague which will make sure appropriate cover is in place during absences.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- Additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
- Ability to use public transport (for travel to see patients if indicated).
Clinical Skills, Knowledge and Experience Essential
- Excellent knowledge in specialty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
Academic Skills and Lifelong Learning Essential
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training
- Participated in continuous professional development
- Participated in research or service evaluation
- Able to use and appraise clinical evidence
- Has actively participated in clinical audit.
- Able to plan and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training relevant to this post
- Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken
- Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation
- Evidence of achievement in education, research, audit and service improvement: awards, prizes, presentations and publications.
- Has led clinical audits leading to service change
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Employer details Employer name
Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust
190 Vauxhall Bridge Road
https://www.cnwl.nhs.uk/work (Opens in a new tab)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.