HMP Elmley, a Category B local remand prison A recruitment & retention premium is associated to this post.
The post holder will provide consultant input for the in-reach team at HMP Elmley together with another Senior Specialist colleague who will provide 10 PA cover. The post includes an interesting and varied range of clinical responsibilities for prisoners with a wide range of clinical conditions, including acute and chronic mental illness, personality disorder and ADHD. Within the stepped care model, the Elmley service screens about 40 referrals per week. The in-reach team holds a caseload of about 90. New assessments are normally slotted into the ward rounds (Inpatients) and into prearranged out-patient Clinics if the new assessments are generated from the referral system. All referrals are triaged by the In-Reach Team. On rare occasions, assessments are requested as an emergency from the wings or segregation unit. This is variable but on average once a week. This will be shared by the two post holders.
Main duties of the job Clinical work - HMP Elmley (0.6 w.t.e)
Quality improvement/Research/Teaching- (0.4 w.t.e)
- assessing prisoners in the house-blocks and in Healthcare
- liaising with services outside the prison to arrange CPAs, aftercare plans or transfers to hospital
- attending the inpatient unit to manage psychiatric cases. The inpatient unit has 29 beds, of which about 70% have mental-health related difficulties
- any other care which could reasonably be expected of a consultant acting in an in-reach capacity in a prison
- clinical cover to HMP Stanford Hill, a D-category prison adjacent to Elmley with a very small number of patients mainly managed by mental health practitioners.
- quality improvement initiatives, to be agreed with multidisciplinary colleagues and the service managers.
- These 4 sessions can be used flexibly and the post holders can base themselves remotely (Base of their choice) unless required to be on site for data collection or clinical activities associated with this.
- The activities could include clinical audits, research projects, service improvement or other tasks associated with clinical governance
- The research or quality improvement activity may be part of further education such as masters or PhD or other postgraduate qualifications
- The post holder can also include part or whole of the sessions for teaching activities
Our values express our heart at Oxleas.
They are the lens we look through to guide our behaviours day-to-day, informing how we act, the decisions we make, and how we work with our service users, patients, families, carers, and colleagues. Our values are: We're Kind
: We show consideration, concern and thoughtfulness towards everyone. We're Fair
: We embrace difference, treat everyone with respect and promote diversity, equality and inclusion. We Listen
: We always seek to understand, learn, and improve. We Care
: We work together and innovate to put our service users at the heart of everything we do.
Job description Job responsibilities
The post holder will be eligible for inclusion in the Specialist Register in Forensic Psychiatry or General Adult Psychiatry.
The duties of the post holder will include:
- Consultant leadership for the In-reach teams at HMP Elmley
- A management role in an aspect of quality assurance
- Inclusion in the forensic out-of-hours work (1 week in 14) weekly rota.
- Consultancy work offered by the Specialist Forensic Consultants. This will be allocated as per a rota consisting of Consultants and Specialty Registrars.
The post holder will have 4 PAs allocated in their job plan for undertaking activities that support the professional role such as teaching, training, clinical management, clinical governance, service development and other relevant activities.
Person Specification Registration Essential
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.