We are seeking a Consultant Psychiatrist to join the Young People's Substance Misuse Treatment Service. This is post has become vacant due to the current incumbent retiring. The post-holder will also provide consultation, assessment and initiation of prescribing where indicated to Vinney Green Secure Unit.
The consultant (post holder) will be expected to
- YPSMTS: Assess and review those young people with the most complex presentations, high risk and those with co-morbid significant mental health problems as well as any young people who require substitute opiate prescribing.
o Vinney Green Secure Unit: Undertake planned psychiatric assessments of residents and undertake any specialist prescribing (i.e. of medication that cannot be prescribed by primary care) that may be required. They will be available for clinical discussions with colleagues within the home's health & wellbeing team.
Main duties of the job
The Consultant will deliver direct interventions to service users at a level of intensity according to need including those service users who require an assertive approach who are difficult to engage.
This will include on-going assessment, diagnoses (including review and clarification) and treatment
- To provide advice to members of the Multi-Disciplinary Teams in the YPSMTS and to the Health and Wellbeing team at Vinney Green.
- Regular attendance at the YPSMTS MDT meetings.
- Assessment and treatment of outpatients in clinics.
- To visit patients in their own place of residence if clinically indicated.
- To liaise with other parts of the service and GPs and non NHS organisations wherever applicable.
- To liaise with the Intensive Outreach and Inpatient services as appropriate to facilitate the smooth handover of clients between services.
- To actively participate in team and personal caseload management and supervision.
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post
Person Specification Qualifications and Eligibility Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment.
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Wide breadth of clinical experience working with children and young people with mental health problems and their families
- Knowledge and evidence of participation in CPD.
- Evidence of effective multidisciplinary team involvement.
- Specific additional therapy training (e.g. CBT, systemic therapy, DBT etc.)
Personal Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to appraise own performance as a Consultant
- Approachable and compassionate personality with good listening skills
Clinical Skills Essential
- Skills in psychiatric assessment, formulation and risk management (including safeguarding) as well as psychopharmacology in children, neurodevelopmental disorders and attachment difficulties
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and Audit Essential
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication
- Ability to supervise junior medical staff undertaking research projects
- Experience of carrying out an audit project
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.