Are you a Consultant Psychiatrist who is dedicated and passionate about improving mental health services? Are you looking for your next role as a dynamic clinical leader in Acute Inpatient Psychiatry?
Lime Ward, based at Callington Road Hospital, is a male ward with 23 beds.
It is one of four acute inpatient wards in Bristol. Cherry Ward, ( 18 beds, male and female) and Silver Birch ward (female 19 beds), are also based at Callington Road Hospital and Oakwood ward, (23 beds male and female) is based at Southmead Hospital. All units have single en-suite rooms with communal facilities and access to on-site day therapy provision, as well as therapists visiting the wards.
Lime Ward is expected to have 2-3 admissions per week, with a further 2 transfers in per week. Median length of stay on our wards is between 20 and 26 days.
The team works closely with community services including Intensive staff, to support effective bed management, including shared care to enable facilitated early discharge.
Main duties of the job
As the consultant on Lime Ward, you will lead on daily ward reviews providing visible and accessible support to the SAS doctor, junior doctor and nursing team.
This post is evolving new ways of working to include systems for consultant time to be focused on those patients that need senior medical input so that decision-making, treatment and discharge planning, and liaison with the Intensive (Crisis) team happens promptly. To support this, the consultant will not have responsibilities outside of this team, other than attending some CPD activities or interface meetings with other teams.
You will be encouraged and supported to be involved in service leadership and management and to develop an area of special clinical interest in line with service needs.
We offer one of the most competitive and flexible benefits packages.
Bristol is a great place to live and work and has easy travel routes across the country via the M4 and M5, There are two principal railway stations in Bristol and an airport.
About us We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in an inpatient setting.
Personal Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Clinical Skills Essential
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and Audit Essential
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.