This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of dedicated consultants and other members of the multidisciplinary teams to help shape a modernising mental health service, which has been transformed following recent changes in community settings and inpatient provision.
The consultant will work on the Inpatient Unit at Park House, North Manchester General Hospital. The new post holder will have consultant responsibilities for Juniper Ward
Main duties of the job
- Provide clinical leadership for the ward team and trainees
- Conduct regular ward reviews and ward rounds, support the team to complete CPA
- Undertake assessments of admissions to the service
- Assist team to diagnose and formulate management plans in all presentations.
- Assessment and management of risk including of vulnerability, suicide risk, risks to health and safety and risk of harm to others.
- Coordinate care with input from pharmacists, occupational therapists and psychology staff
- Preparation of Mental Health Review Tribunal and Managers' Hearings reports and attendance at subsequent hearings.
- Preparation of consent to treatment paperwork as well as any other MHA work such as section 17 leave, section renewals and CTOs
- Work in a collaborative way with multidisciplinary teams including external partners.
- Work in partnership with psychiatrists from partner providers such as Forensic and Rehabilitation Psychiatrists.
- Lead clinical decision making in the multidisciplinary team to ensure the delivery of high-quality care
- Develop service clinical priorities in line with national and professional guidance and standards
- Engage with service transformation programmes including attendance at Consultant meetings for their service and directorate.
Greater Manchester Mental Health (GMMH) Foundation Trust employs over6,400
members of staff, who deliver services from more than160
We provide inpatient and community-based mental health care for people living in Bolton, the city of Manchester, Salford,Trafford and the borough of Wigan, and a wide range of specialist mental health and substance misuse services across Greater Manchester, the north west of England and beyond.
Greater Manchester is one of the world's most innovative, original and exciting places to live and work. From the beauty of the surrounding countryside to the heart of the vibrant inner city with great shopping, entertainment and dining options.
Wherever you go you will experience a great northern welcome with people famed for their warmth, humour and generosity.
Our people enjoy their work, have opportunities to learn and develop their skills and are encouraged to generate new ideas that improve care for our service users.
Job description Job responsibilities
- Manage, appraise and give professional supervision to junior medical staff as agreed between consultant colleagues and the associate medical director and in accordance with the Trusts personnel policies and procedures. This may include assessing competences under the Modernising Medical Careers framework.
- Ensure that junior medical staff working with the post holder operate within the parameters of the New Deal and are Working Time Directive compliant.
- Undertake the administrative duties associated with the care of patients.
- Record clinical activity accurately and comprehensively, and submit this promptly to the Information Department.
- Participate in service and business planning activity for the locality and, as appropriate, for the whole mental health service.
- Participate in annual appraisal for consultants.
- Attend and participate in the academic programme of the Trust, including lectures and seminars as part of the internal CPD programme.
- Maintain professional registration with the General Medical Council, Mental Health Act Section 12(2) approval process, and to abide by professional codes of conduct.
- Participate annually in a job plan review with the clinical manager, which will include consultation with a relevant manager in order to ensure that the post is developed to take into account changes in service configuration and delivery associated with modernisation.
- Work with local managers (their lead consultant, associate medical director, deputy operational director and other operational managers) and professional colleagues in ensuring the efficient running of services, and share with consultant colleagues in the medical contribution to management.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Fully registered with the GMC with a license to practice at the time of appointment.
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.