Essex Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated Mental Health Liaison Practitioner to manage an already established and developing Liaison Psychiatry team in Southend Hospital . The team provides specialist Mental Health care in a physical health setting, enabling Emergency Departments and wards in the general hospital to assess, manage and support mental health problems as they present or arise among people being cared for within the general health pathway.
Main duties of the job
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Mental Health Liaison Practitioner within the Southend Liaison Team (Mental Health), based in A&E at Southend General Hospital. This is an exciting role for a dynamic and enthusiastic individual who has proven clinical experience and a genuine desire to influence and lead clinical practice and service development within the emergency and urgent care mental health pathway.
EPUT are looking for motivated staff who shares our Trust values of Care, Learn and Empower. In return, EPUT can offer you a range of benefits and development including;
- Season Ticket Loans
- NHS discounts for staff
- Excellent Training facilities and opportunities
- Buying and Selling annual leave scheme
- The opportunity to work bank shifts and expand knowledge and experience in other areas
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars and Cycle to Work
- Day One Flexible Employer
The Trust supports and actively encourages flexible working for all employees. We offer many options and you are encouraged to ask the recruiting manager what is possible for this role. If appointed, you will have the opportunity to apply for a flexible working request from the first day of your employment.
Join our Staff bank
What is Staff Bank?
Our EPUT NHS staff bank is an entity managed by the trust that hires clinical and non-clinical healthcare professionals to take on shifts at our trust hospitals and community settings. Here at EPUT we maintain our own bank of specialist staff to ensure that we are able offer safe and effective care at all times.
All our permanent staff are automatically enrolled onto the staff bank however this does not mean you have to work any additional shifts, but the option is there for you if you wish.
If you are joining our Trust in a fixed term role, please indicate on your New Starter Paperwork that you wish to join our staff bank.
Job description Job responsibilities
We are seeking
- Registered Mental Health Nurse (RMN) with current registration and qualified to a degree level or equivalent
- Working knowledge of current mental health legislation and guidance in relation to Safeguarding and Vulnerable Adults.
- Working knowledge of NICE guidance in the treatment of mental health problems
- Knowledge of mental health / risk management processes
- Be able to demonstrate an excellent understanding of clients presenting with physical and mental health co-morbidity issues
- Overview and knowledge of the range of interventions and services that meet the needs of all Patients including those with Dementia, Delirium, Functional illnesses, self-harm and substance misuse.
- Be competent in developing and delivering training packages relating to mental health
- Displays a good understanding of clinical governance and quality improvement
- Substantial experience as a liaison mental health practitioner at Band 6 level or above.
- Experience of managing staff and budgets
The above is inclusive, but not an exhaustive list of requirements. For a full break down of the requirements of the role, please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification attached.
Person Specification Education/Qualification Essential
- oProfessional Qualification (OT, Social Work, RMN).
- o Educated to Degree Level in Health
- oEvidence of personal and professional development in contemporary mental health practice.
- oAllied Health & Mental Health Practitioner (Mental Health Act 1983).
- oAdditional Professional Qualification/Experience - Dementia related.
- oAble to take on broader responsibilities to improve own and others knowledge and skills.
- oEvidence of the knowledge and skills in the use of information technology to support care and professional development.
- oKnowledge of the implications of the National Dementia Strategy and NICE Dementia Guidelines.
- oGood awareness of the PLAN standards in relation to CORE 24.
- oGood understanding of the Mental Capacity Act and its application in practice.
- oGood understanding of person centred care and the Recovery Model.
- oGood understanding of national policy and the implications for mental health e.g. crisis care concordat, parity of esteem.
- oEvidence of an understanding of the principle of governance and implications for professionals practice.
- oEvidence of knowledge of professional nursing standards or equivalent.
- oIT competency.
- o Car Driver /able to travel to all required locations and achieve service activity targets.
Skills / Experience Essential
- oAbility to maintain high standards of work.
- oAble to instil confidence in others in the quality of their own work.
- oAble to champion high standards of professional practice throughout the service area.
- oEvidence of user focus in the organisation, delivery and evaluation of care.
- oExperience in the use of risk assessment tools.
- oAbility to seek ways of improving individual's performance by training, coaching and development.
- oAbility to manage 'difficult' behaviour by listening, showing tolerance and remaining objective.
- oDevelop team spirit and inclusivity.
- oEvidence of personal development e.g. in objective setting, time management, skills etc.
- oAbility to plan ways of improving efficiency and cost effectiveness of clinical services.
- oEvidence of ability to prioritise workload and competing demands.
Personal Qualities Essential
- oAbility to communicate effectively.
- oEvidence of personal development.
- oAbility to provide effective feedback to staff in a constructive manner.
- oAbility to deal sensitively and decisively with conflict management.
- oAbility to build relationships and negotiate satisfactory outcomes.
- oDevelop a positive environment which supports continuous improvement.
Additional Qualities Essential
- oAbility to identify barriers to change and developing plans to deal with them.
- oAbility to work positively in uncertain situations.
- oAbility to flexibly and some unsocial hours required.
- oAbility to use own judgement confidently and decisively.
- oAbility to know when to seek the support and guidance of more senior colleagues when necessary.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.