Are you looking for a role within a well-established and well-respected Community Drug and Alcohol Team? The Community Drug and Alcohol Team in Swansea is looking for an enthusiastic Consultant Psychiatrist to join our service, develop close links with Tier 2 agencies and provide expertise to the substance use liaison service in the general hospital.
Accepting this role will see you joining a very experienced team of nurses and medical staff to ensure that individuals experience a seamless and co-ordinated approach to their care.
Interested individuals will need to be enthusiastic, motivated and committed to driving forwards the continued development of the Drug and Alcohol Service. We welcome experienced applicants in addictions/substance use and final year CCT trainees within 6 months of completion.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Be medically qualified, MRC Psych or equivalent
- Be innovative and imaginative with the ability to initiate service improvement
- Have an excellent understanding of current developments in substance use and mental health
What you will get:
- Competitive annual salary
- The equivalent of 34 days annual leave (pro-rata)
- Career development and training
- Opportunities to develop your special interests
- Relocation support
There are also a range of other benefits including access to NHS retail discounts and special offers, NHS car leasing without a credit check and much more
Main duties of the job
- Provide clinical expertise and leadership to a defined MDT team and the clinical management of patients with substance use problems.
- Provide supervision for the speciality doctor and trainees and to a Specialist Registrar if the post holder is approved as trainer and a SPR is allocated to the team.
- Provide supervision for the Advanced Nurse Practitioner/Non Medical Prescriber.
- Provide cross cover duty for Consultant in Neath and Port Talbot for annual leave/study leave.
- Liaise effectively with members of the team and other services
- Contribute to the management of the service by attendance at appropriate committees and meetings, by involvement in audit and by taking on specific management roles which may, from time to time, be negotiated.
- Play an active role in the education and training of junior medical, nursing and other staff.
- Maintain your own professional knowledge base and competency by involvement in CPD and to take part in the Wales Revalidation Process which includes annual appraisals for the purposes of revalidation.
- Support General Practitioners who have a special interest in substance misuse.
- Take part in the consultant on-call rota which is 1 in 14 across Swansea and Neath, Port Talbot.
- Undertake responsibilities under the mental Health Act as a s.12 approved doctor and as an Approved Clinician.
- Undertake responsibilities under the Mental Health (Wales) Measure.
- Support the Liaison Nurse based in Morriston District General Hospital
Our values encourage continuous improvement and as such you will have the opportunity for regular career development to ensure you're on the cutting edge and at the top of your game. Additionally, the service is supportive of staff developing portfolio careers and have excellent opportunities for the successful candidate to explore opportunities in medical management, quality improvement, quality and safety, research and teaching. The Health Board has strong academic links with Swansea University and Medical School and honorary appointments exist should you wish to explore this as part of your career development. The service strongly supports clinicians developing skills in other subspecialties and undertaking special interest sessions. There are a range of areas you can get involved in as we host a number of regional services including perinatal mental health services and regional medium secure services.
You'll have access to excellent CPD with our own medical education centre based on the Cefn Coed Hospital site in Swansea as well as an education centre in Neath Port Talbot Hospital. There is also a vibrant academic programme, plus access to a large peer group of enthusiastic and high-calibre consultants.
You will be working for an established, forward thinking service. There is an opportunity for you to grow and move within Swansea Bay University Health Board.
Job description Job responsibilities
For full details and further contacts for discussions on the role please refer to the attached Job Description and Person Specification.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- registered with GMC
- licensed to practice
- specialist registrar with GMC as psychiatrist/eligible for CCT within 6 months of date of interview
- further relevant degree/diploma
- teaching qualification/higher qualification in medical education
- Broad based experience in addiction psychiatry including prescribing for patients with complex health needs
- Twelve months training / experience in addiction psychiatry
- -Competence in management of patients with co-occurring addictions plus physical and/or mental health difficulties
- evidence of research
- Evidence of participation in clinical audit and understanding role of audit in improving medical practice
- Wider experience, research and training in the management of patients with comorbid addiction and complex health needs
- evidence of teaching and training
- Evidence of initiating, progressing and concluding research projects with publication
- effective leadership
- Ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
- excellent interpersonal and team working skills
- section 12 approved
- Evidence of organising programmes and teaching medical students and junior doctors
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.