Mental Health Triage Nurse - Mental Health Urgent Care Department Base - Basildon Hospital Hours - 37.5hrs Full Time (Full Internal Rotation)
The Mental Health Urgent Care Department, is a facility where adults, aged 18 years and above, who are experiencing a mental health crisis can receive an urgent biopsychosocial assessment with immediate care planning. It is a new, purpose built department based at the Basildon Mental Health Unit on the Basildon university Hospital site.
The post holder is responsible for the triage, assessment, advice and support on the management of patients presenting with mental health difficulties within the Mental Health Urgent Care Department.
Main duties of the job
- This role will support the implementation of the new Mental Health Urgent Care Department by managing the day to day running in conjunction with the Clinical and Medical leads and MDT.
- They will be required to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team in close cooperation with hospital based and primary health care based professionals within ED, Ambulance providers and the police. They will be responsible for the maintenance of standards of care within the Team and actively participate in the training and education of staff from allied agencies.
- The fully developed team will enable the opportunity for extending joint work with already established on-site specialist services. The post holder will support an enable specialist expertise in integrated mental and physical health approaches. The post holder will provide additional support in the active management of those with psychological issues related to frequent attendance in the general hospital.
- To work collaboratively with lead clinicians in ensuring that Clinical Practice Development is an inherent part of the service delivery within the organisation. In addition, they will also be responsible for ensuring that an integrated service is provided to the patients and ensure that a good interdisciplinary working environment is maintained
For additional duties please view the job description.
EPUT are looking for motivated staff who shares our Trust values of Care, Learn and Empower. In return, EPUT can offer you a range of benefits and development including;
- Season Ticket Loans
- NHS discounts for staff
- Excellent Training facilities and opportunities
- Buying and Selling annual leave scheme
- The opportunity to work bank shifts and expand knowledge and experience in other areas
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars and Cycle to Work
- Day One Flexible Employer
The Trust supports and actively encourages flexible working for all employees. We offer many options and you are encouraged to ask the recruiting manager what is possible for this role. If appointed, you will have the opportunity to apply for a flexible working request from the first day of your employment
Join our Staff bank
What is Staff Bank?
Our EPUT NHS staff bank is an entity managed by the trust that hires clinical and non-clinical healthcare professionals to take on shifts at our trust hospitals and community settings. Here at EPUT we maintain our own bank of specialist staff to ensure that we are able offer safe and effective care at all times.
All our permanent staff are automatically enrolled onto the staff bank however this does not mean you have to work any additional shifts, but the option is there for you if you wish.
If you are joining our Trust in a fixed term role, please indicate on your New Starter Paperwork that you wish to join our staff bank.
Job description Job responsibilities Professional Functions:
- Develop and maintain specialist clinical skills and expertise in the assessment of people with mental health needs.
- Receive and assess referrals into the Urgent Care Department against suitability of the service to support the patients needs and triage against the service inclusion criteria liaising and escalating with/to the MHUCD team and via escalation pathways/alternative service where suitable.
- Utilise relevant, current clinical guidelines and any computer assisted triage software to undertake assessment of the patient health and or presenting complaint.
- Escalate patients attending the service who are identified via triage as having physical health support needs beyond the capabilities of the service to the MHUCD MDT and to the acute hospital via escalation pathways
- Support the MDT in forming a plan of care within the service led by triage findings
- Offer advice on management of patients with mental health issues
- Ensure nursing triage, assessment, care and support of each client is appropriate to individual needs
- Feedback outcome of assessment and agree the management plan
- Ensure that clients requiring further assessment and help are referred on appropriately.
- Implement effective joint care planning for people who repeatedly attend throughout the urgent care pathway
- Support and encourage closer working relationships with other professionals within the system
- Take a lead and support colleagues in interventions relating to the management of violence and aggression, including de-escalation techniques and the use of physical intervention (TASID techniques) as necessary.
- Support and participate in the introduction and delivery of short-term psychological interventions for a specific cohort of individuals.
- Liaison effectively with staff in local system and maintain accurate nursing records that provide assessment reports to GPs and other allied agencies.
- Provide advice and monitor the use and provision of the Mental Health/Capacity Act (1983/2005) and other relevant legislation.
- Provide clinical advice/expertise health education, consultation and staff support to other health professionals
- Have knowledge of how to access appropriate services and develop effective networks and channels of communication
- Actively participate in the achievement of clinical outcome measures and accreditations for the service
- Adhere to NMC code
- Attend case conferences and meetings as relevant to the Job Description
- Work in accordance with EPUT guidelines and protocols
Communication and Working Relationship:
- Support the Clinical Lead in ensuring the effective provision of care, service developments of the urgent Care Team
- In the absence of the Clinical Lead ensure that referral, assessment and workload allocation happens in a timely, flexible and responsive manger, taking into account the wishes of the patients and their carers.
- Promote the understanding of mental health urgent care department pathway and mental health care through formal and informal teaching
- Support the induction of new staff to the team as required
- Supervise students as part of their training, either on placement or providing information/teaching sessions
- Act as role model at all times, able to demonstrate leadership skills
- Provide specialist advice, support and consultation to staff within the team, outside teams and other agencies.
- Undertake professional, clinical and managerial supervision in line with Trust policies and procedures, discussing the overall nature of the workload, work methods and techniques whilst evaluating clinical practice.
- Undertake duties as assigned by senior staff to ensure that all agreed patient quality, safety and operational performance outcomes are delivered within the area of responsibility
- Support the introduction of outcome measures to measure patient experience.
- Contribute towards team education and development providing opportunities for exchange of ideas, experience, techniques and interventions.
- Ensure that all junior staff are fully conversant with the physical health needs agenda of all patients. A holistic approach to care is required that encompasses physical health, mental health and social care
Responsibility for Patient/Client Care:
- Disseminate specialist knowledge across the range of work procedures and practices that are under pinned by theoretical knowledge or relevant practical experience.
- Actively and constructively contribute in team meetings, initiating and discussing new methods/models of working
- Act up as required in the absence of the Clinical Lead
- Participate, take professional responsibility/accountability and ensure that accurate, timely records are maintained in line with Trust Policy
- Ensure that clinical practice is evidence-based wherever possible and participate in research and audit
- Keep updated in all legislative government initiatives
- Undertake and be proactive in clinical and managerial supervision
- Promote a positive image, showing a professional and helpful approach and identify where relationships with the public could be improved, in line with the Trust customer care agenda
- Work flexibly to meet the needs of patients
- Develop and maintain effective individualised care by ensuring the following areas are proactively undertaken at all times:
- Triage and assessment of client mental, physical and social care needs
- Planning, implementation and evaluation of clinical interventions
- Clear, accurate and concise documentation of individualised patient care and reflect the changing needs of the patients
- Ensure risk assessment and management is an integral part of everyday practice
- The post holder will be approachable and develop good working relationships with the patients and carers providing them with adequate information on services
- Contribute to department patient review procedures to ensure timely clinical decisions and departmental flow are maintained
- Use research findings when designing care programmes and develop and awareness of the significance of nursing research that underpins evidence based practice.
- Computer Literate/IT Literate
- Able to communicate via email
- Ability to utilise OLM e-learning systems
- Ability to utilise the Trust Intranet to gain access to all Policies and Procedures
- Be prepared to undertake any training and use electronic health care records and systems as adopted by the Trust
Person Specification Education/Qualifications Essential
- Professional Qualification RMN
- Educated to Degreed Level in Health
- Additional Professional Qualification/Experience
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.