South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM) Trust is looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Old Age Consultant Psychiatrist to join the Lewisham Older Adult Community Mental Health Team (North CMHT). This post has arisen due to the current post holder leaving the Trust.
Lewisham Older Adults Community Mental Health Team is one of the four older adult CMHTs in SLaM. The older adult services are part of the PMOA (Psychological Medicine and Older Adults) Directorate. The over 65 population of Lewisham is about 27,426 and diverse, with about 34% of the population being BAME.
Lewisham Older Adults Community Mental Health Team provides care and treatment to older adults residing in Lewisham with both functional and organic mental health problems requiring secondary care input. The hours of operation are Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm. There is a full complement of multi-professionals and higher trainee psychiatrists.
Main duties of the job
Clinical responsibilities will be to provide shared senior medical leadership to Lewisham CMHT for older adults [jointly with the South sector consultant].
The post-holder will be Responsible Clinician for patients North sector of of the borough.
The post-holder will provide senior medical input to the multi-disciplinary team, take part in regular meetings of the team, provide senior psychiatric advice regarding diagnosis and the development of appropriate treatment plans.
Most of the new assessments are undertaken by other members of the MDT and discussed in team meetings. The post holder will undertake new assessments when required, especially those patients with a more complex presentation likely to require a consultant opinion.
The post-holder will be expected to provide supervision to the other medical members of the team in line with Royal College of Psychiatrists requirements and the Trust's Supervision policy. They will support the team manager in evaluating the performance of the team and be part of quality improvement work going on in the Team.
The post holder will participate in the MHOA consultant on-call rota, providing consultant advice/ support to on-call core and specialist trainees when they see older adults patients . The rota is approximately 1 in 22. The post holder will be expected to be part of reciprocal consultant cover arrangements in Lewisham CMHT for older adults.
The post holder will work in a well-established multidisciplinary team with junior medical cover. There is dedicatedoffice space as well admin support.
The post holder is expected to take advantage of opportunities for innovative service development, quality improvement and management/leadership development in the directorate as well as within the Trust. There are ample opportunities for educational, academic and managerial roles. There are also opportunities for collaborations, as SLaM is part of King's Health Partners Academic Health Sciences Centre and also the only mental health trust in the UK to have its own biomedical research centre, hosted jointly with the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at KCL.
Job description Job responsibilities
A more detailed job description is attached. There is support for newly appointed consultants in the StartWell group. As part of this the post holder will have the opportunity of having a more senior consultant as a mentor.
Person Specification QUALIFICATIONS & ELIGIBILITY Essential
- Fully registered with GMC with a licence to practice
- Eligibility for inclusion on the specialist register or within 6 months of gaining CCT
- Approved Clinician status or able to achieve within three months of appointment
- Eligibility for approval under Section 12(2) MHA 1983
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Relevant higher degree e.g. MSc, PhD or MD
- Evidence of specific CCT and relevant endorsement
CLINICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE Essential
- Evidence of excellent knowledge in Old Age psychiatry
- Confidence in risk formulation and management in the community
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Excellent working knowledge of MHA and MCA
- Experience of service development in mental health
- Experience within Home treatment teams or acute mental health liaison
OTHER QUALITIES AND SKILLS Essential
- Commitment with working with service users and carers
- Ability to work in and lead a team
- Commitment to Quality improvement
- Demonstrate commitment to shared leadership & collaborative working to deliver improvement
- Able to plan and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training relevant to this post
- Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.