Haringey Complex Emotional Needs Team serves a client group with severe and complex, non-psychotic illness. Presenting issues range from a single diagnosis such as depression requiring a single psychological therapy intervention, through to those requiring intensive treatment packages and/or with co-morbid difficulties requiring multi-disciplinary packages of care.
The PTSD Treatment Pathway has a vacancy for a full-time senior clinical or counselling psychologist. You will provide specialist input into the PTSD Treatment Pathway, working with patients presenting with mental health difficulties. The Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) treatment pathway provides a phased treatment programme for service users presenting with complex and comorbid PTSD symptoms. Treatment modules include values based behavioural activation, group psycho-education work and trauma focused therapies including Narrative Exposure Therapy, EMDR and Trauma Focused CBT. The service users worked with may have experienced extreme and on-going trauma, are often refugees or have a history of childhood neglect and/or abuse.
The complex-PTSD treatment Pathway is a small, supportive, and contained team of staff, including Psychologists, Psychiatrists, an Associate Mental Health Worker and an Assistant Psychologist. We believe in the importance of multidisciplinary working that is collaborative, respectful, and integrative, with a particular focus on therapeutic interventions.
Main duties of the job
The post will involve contributing to the clinical care of service users in the PTSD treatment pathway. In co-operation with the PTSD senior clinician the duties of the post holder will include:
- Specialist screening, assessment and treatment of patients within Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) stream.
- Taking a central role in overseeing the smooth flow of patients through the PTSD treatment pathway and working proactively with the PTSD lead to anticipate and address delays and other risks in the treatment process.
- Providing a leadership role to the PTSD multi-disciplinary team, including chairing of the team meeting and addressing clinical issues as they arise in the team.
- To supervise and support junior staff members and students as required.
- Ensure service users are involved with all aspects of planning and delivery of their own care plans and in the delivery of the service.
- To assist in the effective delivery of the team's functions and contribute to the development of protocols, procedures and systems as required.
- Working with the PTSD lead and other PTSD Stream clinicians to support and innovate in the development of the treatment programme.
Barnet Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust is a multiple award-winning, combined mental health and community Trust providing local, regional and national healthcare services. We are one of the largest employers in North London with over 3000 staff delivering a range of mental health and community services to a population of over one million.
BEH manages the renowned North London Forensic Services (NLFS), rated as 'Outstanding' by the CQC. This service treats and cares for people within the criminal justice system who have mental health conditions.
We also provide one of the largest eating disorder services in England, as well as drug and alcohol services and mental health liaison services in North Middlesex University Hospitals Trust.
Our values and quality improvement are at the heart of everything we do, please consider joining us.
Job description Job responsibilities Please kindly refer to the job description and person specification by clicking on the link attached.
Person Specification EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS Essential
- Doctoral level training or equivalent in Clinical or Counselling Psychology including specifically models of psychopathology, two or more distinct psychological therapies and lifespan developmental psychology as accredited by the BPS
- Registration with the Health Professions Council as a Clinical or Counselling psychologist.
- Training in Trauma focused model of therapy (particularly Trauma focused CBT, EMDR or Narrative Exposure Therapy)
- Post graduate training in one or more additional specialised areas of psychotherapy practice.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE Essential
- Experience of working with Patients with complex PTSD presentations particularly those with adult experience of torture or domestic violence and/or with childhood histories of abuse or neglect
- Experience of working substantially with Trauma focused therapy models.
- Experience of PTSD assessment and specialist assessment and treatment of a wide variety of client groups presenting problems that reflect the full range of clinical severity including maintaining a high degree of professionalism in the face of highly emotive and distressing problems, verbal abuse and the threat of physical abuse. Substantial experience of treating clients with CBT.
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
- Qualification/accreditation in a trauma focused model of therapy.
- Experience of developing therapeutic approaches and treatment programs in response to patient need.
- Experience of teaching, training and/or supervision
- Experience of working with asylum seekers and of providing therapy with the aid of interpreters
- Experience of delivering treatment in a group format.
- Experience of leadership responsibilities particularly in a multi-disciplinary team context.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES Essential
- An ability to formulate and provide treatment within one main psychological model and the experience and knowledge of at least two other approaches to psychological intervention.
- Advanced postgraduate level knowledge of psychological therapy including highly developed knowledge of lifespan developmental psychology.
- Skills in psychological assessment, intervention and management, frequently requiring sustained and intense concentration.
- Skills in providing consultation to other professional and non-professional groups.
- Awareness and/or experience of multi cultural issues in the delivery of psychological therapies.
- Knowledge of the theory and practice of specialised psychological therapies in specific difficult to treat groups (e.g. personality disorder, dual diagnoses, people with additional disabilities etc).
- High level knowledge of the theory and practice of at least two specialised psychological therapies.
- Knowledge of legislation in relation to the client group and mental health.
- Ability to develop flexible and innovative treatment approaches to suit client group.
PERSONAL QUALITIES Essential
- Motivated and enthusiastic
- Committed to equal opportunities
- Is able to work using a non judgmental manner
- Contribute to improving the quality of life for service users
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.