Would you like to work in the beautiful South Wales Valleys? Are you looking to take the next step in your career path?
Applications are invited for a band 6 Specialist Speech and Language Therapist within a school-based team. The team will be led by a band 7 HSSLT Team Lead with admin support provided.
The team is funded by a Service Level Agreement with Merthyr Local Authority to provide collaborative support to specialist education units.
Main duties of the job
The school based team of Speech and Language Therapists will work collaboratively with Education to provide support to pupils with a range of complex communication difficulties in school settings across Merthyr Tydfil. The primary focus of the service will be to provide education and training to school settings combined with a consultative model of service delivery and an element of working with individual children.
In this role you will work collaboratively with schools, providing support to education staff and families to meet the needs of pupils with complex communication difficulties. You will work within the new Additional Learning Needs and Education Tribunal (Wales) Act.
Cwm Taf Morgannwg SLT department are a friendly and compassionate team who place a strong commitment to supporting staff wellbeing, supervision and continued professional development.
The children's SLT service has a range of clinical specialists available for support and second opinions and staff are fully supported by a line management structure, Paediatric Team Leads and an Admin Team.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post: Welsh and/or English speakersare equally welcome to apply.
Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board is part of the NHS Wales family. Our Health Board provides primary, secondary and community health and wellbeing services to around 450,000 people living in three County Boroughs: Bridgend Merthyr Tydfil, and Rhondda Cynon Taf.
We live by our core values:
- We listen, learn and improve
- We treat everyone with respect
- We all work together as one team
We are a proud local employer; around 80% of our 15000 workforce live within our region, making our staff not only our lifeblood of our organisation but of the diverse communities that we serve.
Job description Job responsibilities
You will be able to find a full Job Description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click Apply to view in Trac.
Person Specification Qualifications / Training Essential
- SLT Degree
- HCPC Registration
- Appropriate post graduate experience in a paediatric setting.
- Experience of working in a variety of clinical settings in a collaborative way with other professionals.
- Experience of providing training to education staff
- Good communication skills with people with specific communication difficulties.
- Able to analyse complex assessment information for complex cases and make specialist clinical decisions.
- The ability to collaborate with teaching and education staff in modifying the curriculum for children with additional learning needs.
- Good insight into professional boundaries and when to refer on/ seek further advice.
- Knowledge of a broad range of assessment tools for children and young adults.
- Knowledge of specific assessment/treatment tools for speech and language disorders.
- Knowledge of school based Speech and Language Therapy services.
- Excellent knowledge of RCSLT professional and clinical guidelines
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.