Highly Specialised Speech & Language Therapist, Band 7 Permanent Full Time & Part Time hours - up to 37.5 hours per week ***we would be willing to consider reduced working hours***
We have an exciting opportunity to work as a Band 7 Highly Specialist Speech and Language Therapist in a newly created post within the Bexley Community Adult SLT Team.
If you are a dynamic SLT interested in developing your leadership and specialist clinical skills managing adults presenting with complex acquired communication and swallow impairments across their disease trajectory; this post is for you.
You will have a strong track record in the assessment, differential diagnosis and management of swallowing and communication disorders in adults with a range of conditions including dementia, acquired neurological conditions covering stroke, head injury and progressive neurological conditions. You will have completed post-graduate dysphagia competencies, have experience of Videofluoroscopy and ideally certification in Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT).
So, if you are a versatile, resilient and enthusiastic SLT, who would like the opportunity to develop within our expanding, friendly team and you share our commitment to high quality, client-centred SLT intervention; we would love to hear from you.
Main duties of the job
As the successful candidate, you will join a forward looking and supportive multidisciplinary team, including Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Rehabilitation Assistants, Neuro Nurses and Specialist MS/PD Nurses. We provide multi-disciplinary evidence-based rehabilitation to clients living in their own homes, care homes and within the local community, with regular opportunities for joint goal setting and intervention.
We actively encourage and support CPD, with regular in-service training within the team and through regular CPD with our neighbouring Greenwich Community SLT team. The successful candidate should have experience as a clinical supervisor and relish developing student SLTs.
Oxleas offers a wide range of NHS healthcare services to people in community and secure environment settings. Our services include community health care such as district nursing and speech and language therapy, care for people with learning disabilities and mental health care such as psychiatry, nursing and therapies. Our multidisciplinary teams look after people of all ages and we work in close partnership with other parts of the NHS, local councils and the voluntary sector and through our new provider collaboratives. Our 4,300 members of staff work in many different settings including hospitals, clinics, prisons, secure hospitals, children's centres, schools and people's homes. We have over 125 sites in a variety of locations in the South of England. In London we operate within the Boroughs of Bexley, Bromley Greenwich and into Kent. We manage hospital sites including Queen Mary's Hospital, Sidcup and Memorial Hospital, Woolwich, as well as the Bracton Centre, our medium secure unit for people with mental health needs. We are the largest NHS provider of prison health services providing healthcare to prisons within Devon, Dorset, Bristol, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire, Kent and South London. We are proud of the care we provide and our people. Our purpose is to improve lives by providing the best possible care to our patients and their families. This is strengthened by our new values:
- We're Kind
- We're Fair
- We Listen
- We Care
Job description Job responsibilities
- To provide highly specialist speech and language therapy input to clients as part of the Bexley Neurorehabilitation and Community SLT Team.
- To provide clinical leadership in partnership with the Principal Speech & Language Therapist in the day to day delivery of Speech & Language therapy as an autonomous practitioner, ensuring the highest possible standards of practice. This includes supervision and support of junior staff and students.
- To support the Principal Speech & Language Therapist in establishing and monitoring a robust clinical governance framework for the service.
Person Specification Education/ qulaifications Essential
- SLT degree
- HCPC registered
- Relevant specialist courses
- LSVT training completed
- Leadership qualification
- Sufficient post grad experience in relevant clinical area
- Evidence of MDT working
- On-going CPD
- Experience of working in the community
- Experience of undertaking risk assessment and risk management
- Developing and delivering training packages
Knowledge and skills Essential
- Videofluoroscopy competence / experience
- Use of outcome measures
- Supervising others + appraisal
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of clinical governance, national policy
- Competent in use of alternative and augmentative communication systems
- Leadership and change management experience
- Leading clinical audits
- Experience in performance management
Personal Qualitities Essential
- drivers licence
- Car owner/ access to vehicle for work
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.