Consultant psychiatrists - Do you want to lead and be a part of a highly skilled, motivated and dynamic acute in patient multi-disciplinary team with excellent consultant colleagues and junior doctor support? If so, we want to hear from you!
The South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust is recruiting into a substantive 10 PA (7.5 DCC and 2.5 SPA) consultant post for our male acute in-patient ward (Clare ward) based within the London Borough of Lewisham. We are open to receiving applications from candidates who wish to work fewer sessions, and those wanting to work more flexibly, in line with our flexible working protocol. Those in Higher training posts who are likely to obtain their CCT in August 2023 are more than welcome to apply, provided they meet our eligibility criteria.
The post holder will be based at the Ladywell Unit, University hospital Lewisham which is very well located and easy to access. You will be supported by a full Multidisciplinary team, have your own office and shared admin support. Junior medical support includes a Higher trainee, a Core trainee and one Foundation year doctor. The unit also have a float doctor who is shared across all the wards when gaps arise..
For further details please see attached advertisement.
Main duties of the job
To provide enthusiastic, and flexible, joint clinical leadership and consultant input into the team, alongside the ward manager
- To take consultant responsibility for your ward, acting as Approved Clinician and assessing or supervising assessment and management of patients and devising or helping to devise appropriate treatment plans and medication regimes, providing prompt medical response, and advising and work closely with other members of the multidisciplinary team
- To provide consultant input into the ward, using your expertise to provide advice, liaising closely with others and providing assessment of complex presentations and creating appropriate management plans
For further details please see attached JD.
We are committed to ensuring our staff get the most out of their benefits package and understand the importance of a healthy work life balance. There is an extensive range of excellent benefits for you and your family. We want you to feel like you are part of a close-knit team at SLaM. It's important to us that you feel valued and appreciated and that is why we have a comprehensive benefits package on offer.
Some of our benefits are highlighted here:
- Generous pay, pensions and leave, we offer a comprehensive pay, pensions and leave package, which is dependent on the role and length of service.
- Work life balance, flexible working and supporting a range of flexible options, such as: part-time working and job sharing.
- Career development, there are plenty of opportunities to progress your career and we support your development through a number of programmes such as leadership, mentoring, coaching, positive people management, collective leadership and other talent programmes
- Car lease, our staff benefit from competitive deals to lease cars
- Accommodation, eligible staff benefit from keyworker housing which is available on selected sites
- NHS discounts, with discounts up to 10% from a variety of well-known retail brands through Health Service Discounts website.
For further details please see attached JD.
Job description Job responsibilities
To offer expert risk assessment and management skills in complex care of people with severe mental illness or those admitted in crisis.
- To ensure excellence in the delivery of evidence-based treatments
- To act as a source of support, advice and information to current or prospective patients and their carers, referrers, team members and other professionals
- To attend Directorate bed management/ Right care meetings and work closely with AMD and Lewisham flow team in identifying barriers to discharge and ensuring early discharge planning for each new admission to the ward.
In conjunction with the ward manager, will help to represent the ward at CAG and care pathway meetings and other internal and external meetings where needed.
- To provide reciprocal Approved Clinician cover including under Section 12 of the Mental Health Act for the leave, study leave and sickness of senior medical staff in Lewisham during working hours
- To keep up to date with all developments in research and treatment around acute care pathways and inpatient mental health care
- To develop strong working relationships with outside stakeholders, notably GPs, local authority social services, housing providers and local voluntary organisations.
- To undertake responsibilities as an approved clinician under Section 12 of the Mental Health Act 1983 as needed
- To work flexibly with other teams within SLaM and other mental trusts, and with the voluntary sector, to ensure good coordination of care.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- Membership or Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists or equivalent qualification (in accordance with Royal College of Psychiatrists guidelines)
- Experience in other relevant specialties such as in patient, liaison psychiatry, home treatment or addictions
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register for General Adult Psychiatry OR within six months
- Approved clinician status and under S12 OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
Clinical Skills, Knowledge & Experience Essential
- Excellent knowledge in specialty
- Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others.
- Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
Academic Skills & Lifelong Learning Essential
- Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training. Ability to work in and lead team
- Ability to work in and lead team
- Demonstrate commitment to shared leadership & collaborative working to deliver improvement.
- Participated in continuous professional development. Participated in research or service evaluation..
- Able to use and appraise clinical evidence.
- Has actively participated in clinical audit and quality improvement programmes
- Able to plan and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training relevant to this post. Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken
- Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation.
- Evidence of achievement in education, research, audit and service improvement: awards, prizes, presentations and publications.
- Has led quality improvement projects leading to service change or improved outcomes to patients
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.