Locum Appointed for Service (LAS) Consultant post in Psychiatry of Learning DisabilitySouth London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, Maudsley Hospital, London
We are looking to appoint a LAS Consultant doctor within the Croydon Mental Health Learning Disabilities Team as an additional consultant post to the team. This is an open ended for 10 PAs per week. The successful candidate will be responsible for provision of community mental health assessment and treatment for people with learning disabilities within the borough of Croydon. The post will involve outpatient clinics, home visits, attendance at CPA reviews, and liaison work with mental health services within Croydon (such as adult mental health and forensic services).
Main duties of the job
The successful applicant will assess patients for follow-up or initial assessment in outpatients, or on home visits. They are also expected to liaise with inpatient units and other acute adult departments when patients from the team are admitted to hospital.
The LAS Consultant doctor will participate in the MDT meetings including CPA meetings, weekly clinical team meetings, risk management meetings and other MDT meetings as may be clinically relevant.
The post holder will have excellent opportunities to take an active part in research activities and teaching.
The Croydon MHLD is part of the Behavioural and Developmental Psychiatry Clinical Academic Group (CAG) at the South London & Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust. The post-holder will have an office on Monks Orchard House (Bethlem royal Hospital), Trust-networked computer and access to administrative staff (as above). Mobile network access and computer facilities will also be provided.
Job description Job responsibilities
The main duties of this 10 PA consultant post is to share clinical caseload with the existing consultant psychiatrist in the team. The post-holder will conduct outpatient clinics and home visits, attend CPA reviews, and conduct liaison work with multi-disciplinary colleagues from the Croydon Community Learning Disability Team and other mental health services. The post holder will provide clinical cover for the other Trust MHLD consultants and vice versa. The post holder will be employed by the South London and Maudsley NHS Trust.
Person Specification Qualifications & Training Essential
- Eligible for inclusion in the Specialist Register or within 3 months of gaining CCT
- GMC registration/revalidation and license to practice
- CCT in psychiatry of intellectual disability
- Higher degree such as Master's degree, MD or PhD
- Experience in organisation and delivery of services for people with learning disabilities
- Ability to plan and supervise clinical audit projects and to translate findings into practice to improve quality
- Skills in negotiating with senior staff and other professional groups
- Skills in proposing and implementing service development projects
- Additional training or experience in Health Service Management
- Skills in providing teaching and training at undergraduate and postgraduate level to medical staff and other professional groups
- Evidence of 'training the trainer' or equivalent for provision of educational supervision to psychiatric trainees
- Ability to supervise health and multidisciplinary research for people with learning disabilities (E) Record of publications in peer reviewed or academic or professional journals and/or books
- Ability to contribute to research grants applications
- Higher training relevant to the consultant post
- Section 12 (2) approved
- Eligible to take up Approved Clinician status
- Commitment to the development of excellence in services for people with learning disabilities and coexisting mental health problems
- Additional experience e.g. neurodevelopmental disorders, personality disorders, forensic services in LD, inpatient services for MHLD
Personal Skills Essential
- Good written and verbal skills including communicating complex and sensitive information to colleagues, service users and their carers
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships
- Ability to work and negotiate with multidisciplinary colleagues
- Effective leadership skills
Other Qualities Essential
- Supportive of initiatives to enhance user involvement
- Commitment to continuing professional development, to partnership working and to reflective clinical practice
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.