This post has arisen following the reduction in another consultant's hours. It is a 6 PA post which includes 1.0 PA SPA. There is potential for flexibility in the working time equivalence of this post depending on suitable candidates needs.
The post will be alongside 4 established consultant psychiatrists (2.5 WTE). Bridgwater also has an Early Intervention team and Home Treatment team with their own dedicated consultants. Also there is a county wide Perinatal, Eating Disorders and ADHD services with dedicated consultants.
Main duties of the job
The core CMHT works closely with the wider community mental health service and is referred to as CMHS. This consists of therapists, psychologists, occupational therapists, social workers, mental health nurses, psychiatrists and three managers. We work together especially in complex cases and where there is higher risk to support patients and colleagues. This working together includes within patient consultation, professionals meetings, care planning, referrals meetings and multi-disciplinary team meetings. We also have formal liaison meetings with inpatient services planning admissions and discharges
Community services have expanded across the Trust with concomitant expansion in staff as we have built up a new service called Open Mental Health in the last 2 years. This service works closely with primary care, the wider community and the voluntary sector. This service includes psychologists, assistant psychologists, liaison staff, eating disorder leads and support workers. This gives many more options for patients referred or being discharged from mental health services. Linked software and interface meetings ensure all referrals have a considered and appropriate offer with reduced repeated assessments. We are able to provide a more holistic service with greater satisfaction for staff and patients.
The post is open to a suitable candidate who is not on the specialist register but has plans to go through the CESR process.
Bridgwater is between the Somerset Levels and the coast and is proximal to Taunton which is Somerset's county town, which is an administration and education centre. Glanville House is 5 minutes from the M5. Distance to Bristol and London by train are less than 1 hour and 2 hours, respectively. Bridgwater is 28 miles from central Bristol with average train time journey of 51 minutes.
Our Trust was formed on 1 April 2020 when Somerset Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust merged. We provide community and mental health services across the whole of Somerset and acute hospital services in the north, west and centre of the county and beyond. Somerset NHS Foundation Trust is the first NHS trust on the English mainland to provide community, mental health and acute hospital services. We work with health and social care partners in Somerset to ensure that we deliver outstanding services that meet the needs of our population.
In November 2020 and October 2021 Somerset FT was shortlisted for the mental health trust of the year
award in the widely acclaimed HSJ Awards. It follows a series of initiatives that we've introduced that have changed the way we develop and plan our mental health services - by listening to and involving patients themselves. The HSJ judges said they were looking for trusts which offer excellent, patient-centric care built on strong engagement between clinicians within and beyond the organisation.
Job description Job responsibilities KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver direct interventions including assessment, diagnosis and treatment of mental and physical health needs of patients referred to and under the care of Bridgwater CMHS
- Provide leadership to the CMHS. This will be via contribution to the local leadership team meetings and other team meetings and forums.
- Responsible Clinician for patients subject to a compulsory treatment order under the Mental Health Act and section 37/41
- Undertake MHA assessments as the Trust Section 12 doctor for patients in their care (including those detained under S136);
- Work closely with the inpatient and other community teams to provide effective multidisciplinary collaborative care; this will include availability for consultation, case discussion and advice at the request of team members and / or team managers;
- Provide visible and clear clinical leadership to the mental health service both locally and across the Trust;
- Work collaboratively with other clinical staff to ensure smooth transition for patients admitted and discharged from the ward;
- Contribute to the development of best practice,
- Participate in Medical Audit, including audit of their own practice and attendance at quarterly Medical Audit meetings;
- Provide cross cover for planned leave with the other medical staff;
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.