Applications are invited for a full time (10 PAs + 10% additional R&R) Consultant Psychiatrist in Learning Disabilities
At Mersey Care we are passionate about mental health and wellbeing, and delivering the best possible care for the people we serve. Quality, recovery and wellbeing are at the heart of everything that we do.
The Trust is focused on driving change and innovation by supporting and enhancing the leadership role of our senior clinicians and this role would offer opportunities for you to lead and develop excellent practice in the field.
Main duties of the job
We are offering a 10 PA position. The post holder will have responsibility for the assessment, management and care of patients with intellectual disability within Sefton community LD team which includes GPs within the Southport and Formby CCG patch. This will include providing medical support to patients who have suspected or established comorbid mental disorder or significant behavioural disturbance. This will involve clinics at the team base and home visits. There is the provision of 1 core trainee and 1 specialist trainee which is jointly shared with the south sefton consultant. The community LD team comprises of nurses, support workers, psychology, speech therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy.
Mersey Care is one of the largest trusts providing physical health and mental health services in the North West, serving more than 11 million people.
We offer specialist inpatient and community services that support physical and mental health and specialist inpatient mental health, learning disability, addiction and brain injury services. Mersey Care is one of only three trusts in the UK that offer high secure mental health facilities.
At the heart of all we do is our commitment to 'perfect care' - care that is safe, effective, positively experienced, timely, equitable and efficient. We support our staff to do the best job they can and work alongside service users, their families, and carers to design and develop future services together. We're currently delivering a programme of organisational and service transformation to significantly improve the quality of the services we provide and safely reduce cost as we do so.
Job description Job responsibilities
This job plan includes a schedule of programmed activities setting the Consultant's duties and responsibilities. The flexible job plan sets out the Direct Clinical Care duties including on call work; Supporting Professional Activities; additional NHS responsibilities which could include external duties like work for Royal College or GMC. Where necessary, this will be developed take account of the needs of the Trust and the postholder. The schedule of programmed activities represents a job plan totalling 10programmed activities per week of 7.5 Direct Clinical Care and 2.5 Supporting Professional Activities.
Person Specification Registration Essential
- Full GMC Registration or eligibility to be included on the register
- Eligible for inclusion in Specialist Register or within 6 months of gaining CCT. In possession of Section 12 approval/Approved Clinical Status
- MRCPsych or equivalent.
- Relevant Higher Degree or other additional clinical qualifications
- CCT in Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability
- Knowledge and experience of assessing and trating individuals with learning disability
Personal Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance as a consultant
- Excllent written communication skills
- Awareness of current issues in mental health service provision, Transforming Care policy and legislation
- An understanding of the importance of Clinical Governance in NHS organisations and importance in patient care.
- Knowledge of alternatives to Inpatient admission care approaches
- Evidence of Teaching experience
- Ability to teach and train junior medical staff
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Employer details Employer name
Mersey Care NHS Foundation Trust
https://www.merseycare.nhs.uk/ (Opens in a new tab)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.