Join the team at Tonna Hospital as a Consultant Psychiatrist as we develop services within the Early Intervention Psychosis Team. The core aim of an EIP service is to reduce the duration of untreated psychosis (DUP) by offering timely assessment and produce effective outcomes in terms of recovery and relapse rates.
EIP services are characterised by a strong ethos of hope and a whole-team commitment to enabling recovery. Our EIP service is striving towards a stand-alone model consisting of a multi-disciplinary approach and providing a full range of pharmacological, psychological, social, occupational, and educational interventions whilst ensuring the emotional and wellbeing needs of families and carers.
This exciting opportunity will enable you to be a part of and influence service development and quality improvement through:
- A continued drive to meet standards both locally and nationally; Achieved by ongoing engagement with the EIPN Peer Review programme and NCAP, creating a response and action plan on receipt of regional and national reports and identifying improvement targets and building on an already established EIP Maturity Matrix.
- A continued commitment to developing EIP services and improving services; Achieved by using national standards to work toward and encompassed by themes of leadership, 'culture' and 'data collection' and promoting a consistent approach to service improvement and practice across Wales
Main duties of the job
Accepting this role would see you join this experienced Mental Health community service to provide care for 14-35 year olds with an early onset psychosis presentation. You will focus on early intervention and equipping people with the appropriate skills for community living.
Our values encourage continuous improvement and as such you will have the opportunity for regular career development to ensure you're on the cutting edge and at the top of your game. Additionally, the service is supportive of staff developing portfolio careers and have excellent opportunities for the successful candidate to explore opportunities in medical management, quality improvement, quality and safety, research and teaching. The Health Board has strong academic links with Swansea University and Medical School and honorary appointments exist should you wish to explore this as part of your career development. The service strongly supports clinicians developing skills in other subspecialties and undertaking special interest sessions. There are a range of areas you can get involved in as we host a number of regional services including perinatal mental health services and regional medium secure services. You'll have access to excellent CPD with our own medical education centre based on the Cefn Coed Hospital site in Swansea as well as an education centre in Neath Port Talbot Hospital.
Our values encourage continuous improvement and as such you will have the opportunity for regular career development to ensure you're on the cutting edge and at the top of your game. Additionally, the service is supportive of staff developing portfolio careers and have excellent opportunities for the successful candidate to explore opportunities in medical management, quality improvement, quality and safety, research and teaching. The Health Board has strong academic links with Swansea University and Medical School and honorary appointments exist should you wish to explore this as part of your career development. About your next employer:
You will be working for an established, forward-thinking service. There is an opportunity for you to grow and move within Swansea Bay University Health Board.
There are also a range of other benefits including access to NHS retail discounts and special offers, NHS car leasing without a credit check and much more. You could be eligible for up to £10,000 in Relocation costs.
To discuss further please contact Julie.Thomas8@wales.nhs.uk
Job description Job responsibilities To be successful in this role, you will:
- Be medically qualified, MRC Psych or equivalent
- Be innovative and imaginative with the ability to initiate service improvement
- Have an excellent understanding of current developments in psychiatry and other aspects of mental health
- Have substantial knowledge of change management, relevant legislation, contemporary issues in mental health, knowledge of and experience in purchaser/provider contractual issues
- Desirable qualifications include: primary CCT or an endorsement, in CAMHS or General Adult Psychiatry
The consultant psychiatrist role is situated in Tonna Hospital, which is short commute from Swansea, Cardiff, West Wales, Neath, Port Talbot, Bridgend and surrounding areas.
There is also a vibrant academic programme, plus access to a large peer group of enthusiastic and high-calibre consultants.
You will have overall clinical responsibility for the management of this client group overseeing the Care and Treatment Plans, delegating responsibility and working with the multidisciplinary team.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- On Specialist Register with GMC as a specialist in Adult Psychiatry or eligible for CCT within 6 months
- Further relevant degree/diploma
- teaching qualification / higher qualification in medical education
- Evidence of working effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Teaching and training of post/undergraduate medical staff
- Evidence of initiating, progressing and completing audit
- Working as part of the management team
- Experience of research in mental health
- Previous experience of working in the NHS / experience of NHS working practices and systems
- Experience of the requirements of the role of Approved Clinician under the MHA 1983
- Leadership Skills
- Teaching Skills
- Clinical skills including competence using the MHA 1983 and the MCA 2005
Personal Attributes Essential
- Flexible and adaptable to competing demands
- Driving Licence/ability to travel between sites
- Ability to take a lead role in clinical development
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.