We are seeking an experienced Consultant Psychiatrist to support us on our improvement journey. As a consultant psychiatrist, we are looking for a forward thinking, dynamic change agent who would offer first class clinical leadership within our Adult Mental Health services.
There are two posts, Psychiatrist Intensive Care Unit at Antelope House.
Post one 10 bedded male an Intensive Care Psychiatric Ward, working closely with a ward doctor and MDT.
Post two, 10 bedded female ward Intensive Care Psychiatric Ward, working closely with a ward doctor and MDT.
Applicants must be registered with a licence to practice with the GMC with a CCT in General Adult Psychiatry. MRCPsych or recognised equivalent is a requirement for this post. All applicants must have Section 12 Approval and Approved Clinician Status when taking up this post).
Candidates are encouraged to visit and should contact Dr. Zaid Alabbasi, Medical Director or Dr Hana Burgess, Clinical Director, to make the necessary arrangements
Hana.Burgess@southernhealth.nhs.uk and firstname.lastname@example.org
We offer an amazing 8000 relocation package to subject to the Recruiting Managers approval and Criteria as detailed in our Trusts Relocation Policy. For discussion and approval at point of appointment.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive a suitable application for the role. Therefore please submit your application as early as possible
Main duties of the job
The postholder will be based on Abbey Ward, Antelope House in Southampton. The successful candidate will be responsible for the providing clinical care and treatment for patients of the inpatient unit at Antelope House Southampton. This would be along with 3 other acute inpatient consultants (3 WTE) and be responsible for providing clinical leadership to the unit. They would also be expected to liaise with a wide variety of other stakeholders both in the locality and the wider geographical area the trust covers.
The acute care pathway consists of the inpatient unit and AMHT which operates 24 hours a day and aims to support people in their homes. The inpatient service is provided from Antelope house in Southampton, which has currently has 10 Male PICU beds ( Hamptun Ward), 16 Acute Female Beds (Trinity Ward) and 18 Acute Male beds (Saxon Ward).
As of 2023, we will have opened a 10 bedded female PICU ward (Abbey Ward).
There are three Community mental health teams (CMHT), based at various locations in the city. The multidisciplinary teams consist of Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Social Work, Medical and Psychology professional groups who are supported by health care support workers and a number of clerical and ancillary staff. There are also Early Intervention in Psychosis, Psychological Medicine (general hospital liaison) and Assertive Outreach teams.
Are you committed to providing remarkable care and service?
Are you passionate about helping people and want to make a difference every day?
We want to meet you!
Southern Health is one of the largest Foundation Trusts in the UK, specialising in mental health, adult and child community health and learning disabilities. We are committed to promoting the welfare and safeguarding of children, young people and adults at risk of abuse and neglect through our 6,500 strong workforce.
Southern Health has over 300 sites across the county and we serve 1.5 million people throughout all stages of their lives. Our aim is to work alongside the people we support (and our health and care partners) to deliver the best possible care and constantly improve.
Here at SHFT we have so much to be proud of:
- Working as a team and supporting each other, we put patients and our staff at the heart of everything we do.
- We have a skilled and diverse workforce and are committed to our staff development, offering bespoke training packages, leadership pathways and career opportunities.
- We offer a variety of benefits such as an amazing pension scheme, generous annual leave, Childcare Choices scheme, many discounts (Blue Light card, The Company Shop, NHS Staff Discounts, cycle to work scheme) and much more.
Come to work with us, together we will provide outstanding treatment and care to improve lives.
Job description Job responsibilities
for further details, person specification and job planning please find attached our full job description
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Recognised basic Medical Degree
- Full GMC Registration
- MRCPsych or equivalent
- Eligibility for inclusion on the Specialist Register
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry (or within 6 months at time of interview) or equivalent
- Section 12 Approval
- Approved Clinician
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g. MD,PhD,,MSc or other additional clinical qualifications
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in acute & community psychiatric settings
- Knowledge of NHS (or equivalent)
- Knowledge and evidence of participation in CPD
- Experience in Psychological Therapies
Additional Criteria Essential
- Ability to take a leadership role in a multidisciplinary team, ensuring high quality care and staff morale.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work.
- Ability to appraise own performance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a consultant
- Ability to use IT, including e-mail and the internet
- Knowledge of risk management
- Knowledge of recent pharmaceutical and psychological developments
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching and learning.
- Ability to critically appraise published research
- Experience of carrying out an audit project
- Basic understanding of the management and structure of the NHS
- Ability to deal effectively with stress
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with difficult people.
- Reliable and honest
- Flexible approach to working practise
- Positive approach to the job planning and appraisal process
- Transport in order to travel between Trust locations
- Ability to fulfil all duties of post including on call
- Satisfactory DVS disclosure and Health checks
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
- Additional Clinical Qualification
- Knowledge of NHS planning and management systems
- Organisation of further teaching programmes in medical education or multi professional education
- Commitment to and experience of postgraduate teaching.
- Experience of involvement in a research project and publication
- Experience in research
- Published projects
- Evidence of management training
- Previous management experience
- Evidence of a management project
- Evidence of Leadership Attributes
- Motivational Skills
- Commitment to service development
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.