We are looking for an enthusiastic full time Specialty Doctor (non-consultant grade) to work on Amazon ward, at St Charles Hospital in Kensington & Chelsea. This is initially offered as a 6-month fixed -term post with a view of extending.
As a Specialty Doctor, you will provide medical support to the Consultant, functioning as an active member of the multi-disciplinary team. You will have excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) and the ability to build effective relationships with service users, colleagues and other professionals. The post holder will have opportunity to take part in the middle grade doctor (out of hours) rota at St Charles Hospital.
Main duties of the job
The post holders will be expected to provide medical in-patient care for all patients admitted to Amazon Ward under the supervision of the Consultant Psychiatrist, Dr Handa.
In addition, the post holder will be expected to undertake mental health act assessments, write psychiatric reports for manager's hearings and tribunals and to attend these hearings on behalf of the consultant, under supervision. This post is part of a fully integrated multi- disciplinary team as well as support and administrative services.
The post holder will have an opportunity to take part in team formulation and reflective practice sessions.
St Charles MHU have an HBPoS on the ground floor. The post holder will be expected to provide support for the junior duty doctor if required.
Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust (CNWL) specialises in caring for people with a wide range of physical and mental health needs.
Over recent years our catchment area has grown significantly, making the Trust's population more diverse than ever. The area spans the areas of London, Milton Keynes and wider geographical areas of Buckinghamshire, Surrey, Kent and Hampshire. There are areas of great affluence as well as deprivation, and there are over 100 first-languages spoken in these communities.
Kensington and Chelsea (K+C) adult mental health service provides a range of mental health services for adults across the age range within the community and in hospital settings. These are integrated health and social care services.
Amazon Ward is situated on the first floor of St. Charles Mental Health Unit, comprises of 17 single bedrooms (bedrooms are en-suite with a toilet and shower attached). Other patient facilities include an examination room, quiet room for entertaining visitors, bathroom, private payphone box, television lounge, games room, gym, laundry room, dining room, activities of daily living kitchen, art room, therapy room, computers with internet access and a family room just off the ward for use when young children visit.
Job description Job responsibilities Detailed clerking, history taking and initiation of all necessary investigations and assessments. Establishing, initiating and evaluating treatment plans and risk assessments in collaboration with the multi-disciplinary team and under the supervision of the Consultant Psychiatrist. Interviewing relatives and informal carers of patients as required. Undertaking the relevant referrals to other disciplines and services both within the multi-disciplinary team as well as to services and resources external to the service. Observation of Trust, K&C MHS and local policies and procedures; including those related to medicines management and physical healthcare. Preparation and presentation of medico-legal reports, including those for Managers hearings and Medial Health Review Tribunals for in-patients under the supervision of the Consultant Psychiatrist. The post holder will be expected to provide support, teaching and supervision for MDT staff and teaching of medical students.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MBBS (or equivalent overseas)
- Full GMC Registration with Licence to Practise
- Attended an accredited MRCPsych training course (or equivalent).
- MRCPsych Part 1 or Part 2 (or equivalent).Absence would not preclude an appointment.
- Section 12 approved
- Completed at least 3 years full time post graduate training (or its equivalent on a part time or flexible basis) at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in a relevant specialty or a fixed term trainee or have equivalent experience and competences.
- Previous Experience in inpatient psychiatry
Skills and Knowledge Essential
- Able to communicate clearly both in written and spoken English
- Demonstrates sound knowledge and skill base with the ability to prioritise clinical need.
- Demonstrates ability in basic skills i.e. history taking, examination (mental & physical) and the utilisation of external sources of information in order to develop care and treatment plans to meet patient needs.
- Capacity to utilise a range of approaches to solving problems and making decisions
- Demonstrates understanding of the principles of audit and research within psychiatry and their application to clinical practice
- Able to work cooperatively as part of a team and build and maintain successful working relationships with staff in a variety of different roles.
- Ability to recognise and manage own stress utilising the resources available
- Able to work in an efficient, systematic and flexible manner
- Able to deal with difficult situations and to address them in a responsible and professional manner
- Understanding of the complex nature of patient confidentiality
- Able to treat service users with respect and dignity at all times, adopting a culturally sensitive approach, which considers the needs of the whole person
- Understanding and experience of the use of Rapid Tranquilisation and the management of Psychiatric emergencies
- Sickness or attendance record that is acceptable to the Trust, to be checked at interview
- Declared medically fit by Occupational Health Department to perform the duties of the post.
- The post holder must have the ability to understand and implement Equal Opportunities Policy at a level appropriate to the job
- Must be able to work flexibly to meet the needs of the service.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.