We are seeking a dynamic Consultant Psychiatrist for our Westminster Perinatal Service, based in St Marys Hospital and the Garway Medical Centre
You will join a team that delivers specialist community perinatal mental health service (PMHS), which integrate maternity services, community and primary care services. We respond rapidly to presentations within the maternity context and address the risks to both mothers and infants of perinatal illness We focus on prevention, early detection with NICE guidelines and based in the community, close to mothers and babies.
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will have excellent leadership qualities. They will be highly motivated and passionate about delivering high quality care for perinatal mental health.
The post-holder will be expected to lead on, in partnership with the service manager, quality improvement initiatives and service evaluation projects and will be encouraged to lead on research.
Together with the service manager, the post-holder will provide overall clinical leadership for the multidisciplinary team as well as direct clinical assessments, consultations, risk assessments and care plans.
Other duties include:
- Clinical supervision of other junior doctors (FY1s) working with the team
- Responsible Clinician duties
- Regular clinical liaison with A&E laision, MBU& community mental health teams
- Regular liaison with families and carers
- Regular liaison with other stakeholders as appropriate
CNWL Perinatal Mental Health Service (PMHS) comprises specialist multidisciplinary perinatal mental health teams five boroughs served by the trust (Brent, Harrow, Hillingdon, Kensington & Chelsea, Westminster) enabling the delivery of evidence based perinatal mental health care through a coordinated multidisciplinary specialist approach across maternity, primary and secondary care, tertiary specialist services, social care and voluntary sector.
The post is based on the hospital and other clinical space and has administration support for this post.There is a large faculty of consultants across perinatal mental health and a comprehensive program of professional development to which the successful candidate will have access. A personal budget for CPD is allocated to each consultant annually. There is also access to apply for CEA awards.
As a new consultant in the team you will be offered a place on the Management and Leadership Course run by the Trust, in conjunction with Imperial College. The Trust also has a partnership with the Institute of Healthcare Improvement (IHI), giving you the opportunity to gain knowledge in improvement science and enhance your skills and confidence to understand healthcare systems and successfully implement change. The successful applicants will be eligible to apply for relocation support in line with the Trust's Removal Expenses Policy.
Job description Job responsibilities
- Management of patients in service
- Management of complex cases
- Clinical leadership of team.
- Role in assessment of referrals/admissions.
- Care plan and treatment formulation within the trauma informed framework, guidance on evidence-based treatment and effectiveness.
- Liaison and collaborative working with other services/agencies.
- Mental Health Act implementation.
- Multi-disciplinary, multi-agency and partnership working
- Ensure that physical health needs are addressed
- Review and monitoring of the caseload to ensure appropriate care packages are put in place and discharges facilitated to maintain patient flow.
- Following the cross-cover protocol that has been agreed with another team or colleague which will make sure appropriate cover is in place during absences.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Medical degree
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management.
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Relevant higher degree (e.g. MD, PhD, MSc or other additional clinical qualifications
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment.
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months.
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
- Holds and will use valid UK driving licence OR provides evidence of proposed alternative.
Clinical Skills, Knowledge and Experience Essential
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in acute and community psychiatric settings
- Evidence of interest in Perinatal Mental Health
- Experience in leading a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent clinical skills using biopsycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- Demonstrate the leadership skills required to function successfully as a Consultant Psychiatrist
- IT skills relevant to working in a modern NHS environment
- Knowledge of recent developments and drug advances in perinatal psychiatry
- Knowledge of key issues associated with the development of Perinatal Mental Health Services
- Knowledge of NHS planning and commissioning processes
- Experience in Perinatal Mental Health Services Other relevant experience (e.g. specific psychological therapies)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.