Are you interested in a challenging your expectations of working with people with a Learning Disability?
Are you able to share your positivity and lead a team even in the most challenging situations?
An excellent opportunity has arisen for a nurse to join our team providing on-going assessment and treatment for people with learning disabilities. Either full time or part positions are available.
We are looking for a dynamic, forward thinking and imaginative qualified nurse to become an integral part of our multidisciplinary team. In return for your skills we offer the chance to be at the forefront of working with a diverse and rewarding patient group and within a service that offers the unique chance to be at the very core of progressive service design. We also offer preceptorship if appropriate, the opportunity to work with an experienced and highly skilled staff team and support to enhance your career progression.
You should be either a Learning Disability Nurse or a Mental Health Nurse with an interest in working with people with a learning disability, have experience of working with people who have a learning disability who may exhibit behaviours that are challenging, are autistic or who have an existing mental health issue. Experience in working in an inpatient environment and managing challenging situations is also desirable.
Main duties of the job
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate the nursing care needs of a specific group of service users
- Supervise mentor and teach qualified and unqualified staff including students
- Coordinate care for a specified group of service users
At Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust, we are supportive of the people we care for in the community and aim to provide a fully responsive service to everyone who needs it. This is the same approach we take for our employees. We look to value the skills and experiences of those we work with, whether they are service users, carers, families or those looking to work with us.
Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust is part of the NHS. We treat NHS patients according to NHS principles and standards. The difference is the Trust is accountable to local people, rather than to Government, and so we are able to work closely with our community to develop services in the way that best suits the needs of local people.
Job description Job responsibilities The qualification, training & experience requirements for the role are underlined in the Job Description/Person Specification.
Please refer to the additional information attachment before submitting your application
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Registered Learning Disability Nurse (RNLD) or Registered Nurse Mental Health (RNM)
- Evidence of continued professional development
- Evidence of formal post registration learning
Length and/or nature of experience Essential
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook
- Experience of collaboration working with other agencies including the voluntary sector
- Experience of working within an In-Patient or residential setting
PROFESSIONAL / MANAGERIAL / SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE Essential
- Knowledge and understanding of the Mental Health Act & legal aspects of Mental Health care
- Demonstrable skills in risk assessment and management
- An understanding of national policy in relation to learning disabilities
- Knowledge of evidence based intervention with service users with a Learning Disability
- Up to date clinical knowledge including risk assessment, dual diagnosis and health and social care needs
- Knowledge of child care / protection issues
Personal Skills Abilities and Attributes Essential
- Approachable and flexible
- Good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Be able to prioritise tasks and manage time effectively
- Ability to work under pressure
- Communicate effectively with professionals and service users alike
Other Requirements Essential
- Ability to work flexibly to cover a 24 hour, 365 day service
- Able to attend and participate in all mandatory and statutory training events
- Ability to travel around the locality as requested, independently and efficiently. (If you have a full driving licence there will be an expectation to drive trust vehicles where required)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.