We are recruiting. The Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust is excited to have the opportunity to expand its services with the development of a local SCFT. Under new commissioning arrangements the secure services are commissioned by NHS England via the South West Provider Collaborative. The development of Specialised community forensic teams (SCFTs) has already taken place in most parts of the collaborative.
The SCFT therapeutic model is to focus on recovery and deliver evidence based therapeutic services that continue seamlessly on transition from secure services into the community.
Main duties of the job
The successful candidate will provide senior medical advice, support, consultancy and clinical leadership to the local SCFT.
This appointment is for a 1.0 WTE Consultant Psychiatrist to provide clinical leadership to the SCFT, working in collaboration with the inpatient team based on the Montpellier Unit in Gloucester.
The post is line managed by the Associate Medical Director and, through the Deputy Medical director for Operations, reports to the Medical Director.
At Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust, we are supportive of the people we care for in the community and aim to provide a fully responsive service to everyone who needs it. This is the same approach we take for our employees. We look to value the skills and experiences of those we work with, whether they are service users, carers, families or those looking to work with us.
Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust is part of the NHS. We treat NHS patients according to NHS principles and standards. The difference is the Trust is accountable to local people, rather than to Government, and so we are able to work closely with our community to develop services in the way that best suits the needs of local people.
Job description Job responsibilities Clinical:
- Act as a Responsible Clinician for the patients discharged from secure settings who will require Tier 4 care coordination; this will include involvement and oversight of all aspects of their management: assessment and diagnosis, management plans which include relevant pharmacological and psychological interventions, MHT and Managers Hearings (written and oral evidence), outpatient reviews, CPAs, ASRs, liaison with all relevant agencies such as the MoJ, MAPPA, Police, FIND, Pathfinder, accommodation providers, etc.
- The total caseload is anticipated to be up to 35 patients this will consist of both categories of Tier 4 patients (indirect and active) and will be developed over the course of the first two years. The caseload reflects the anticipated involvement of the SCFT consultant in other aspects of the service, in collaboration with the inpatient Consultant. Initially some of the clinical time is anticipated to be used in developing the SCFT together with the team manager and in liaison with relevant stakeholders within the SWPC, as the Tier 4 caseload builds up.
- The Consultant will have direct involvement in the assessment and transition of patients in secure settings back into the community, from both NHS and private provider settings.
- The post holder will be directly involved in the screening of referrals coming to the Gloucestershire secure directorate and work alongside the inpatient team in ascertaining which referrals progress to access assessment stage.
- The post holder, with other members of the team, will provide consultation, advice and support to local community teams, PICU and open wards who are referring to the secure directorate for specialist guidance, for all patients accepted onto Tier 1, 2 and 3.
- The post holder will provide clinical leadership to the SCFT and work collaboratively with inpatient teams caring for Gloucestershire patients in secure settings.
- The post will offer the opportunity to develop a wider leadership role within the South West Provider Collaborative.
- Represent the Trust, as required, in forensic relevant multi-agency forums e.g. MAPPA
- The postholder will keep medical records and reports up to date as per the organisations policy for all patients.
- Participate in the on-call rota, which is currently 1 in 20 and attracts 0.5 PA payment (0.25 for on call and 0.25 PA for section 12 work).
- Participate in annual appraisal upon which recommendations for revalidation will be made.
- Contribute to the trust forensic related practice/service development agenda, as well as the wider SWPC service development.
- Be actively involved in all aspects of clinical governance and regularly be involved in quality improvement and audit activities.
- Contribute to the ongoing professional development of the SCFT staff to include training needs and participate in the Forensic Clinical Oversight Group (Forensic COG). This is a Trust forum to consider and advise on Trust services provided for patients with forensic needs.
- Represent the organisation within the South West Provider Collaborative (Secure Estate) for practice development and administration.
- Engage with specific projects/work streams as required related to forensic service development.
- Engage in hospital audit processes.
- The postholder will have a prominent role in leading on the compliance with all statutory regulations and ensuring that all relevant outcome measures are met.
- To participate in service and business planning activity for the forensic directorate
The on-call commitment for this post is inclusion in the county-wide consultant on call rota; 1 in 20 covering all specialties. With a first (9am to 9pm) and second (9pm-9am) on call arrangement.
The main responsibilities of the post are outlined in the attached Job Description..
For informal enquiries please contact Dr Faisal Khan AMD/CD on 01242 634031 and Dr Oana Ciobanasu (Consultant Forensic Psychiatry) on 01452 894583 | 07973881468
Person Specification QUALIFICATIONS AND TRAINING Essential
- Basic Medical Qualification GMC registered. On GMC Specialist Register, or eligible for such inclusion at time of interview. Advanced Trainees within 6 months of their CCT date at the time of interview. Approved Clinician/S12 approval or eligibility for approval.
- MRCPsych Training or experience in Forensic, inpatients, crisis, AOT and/or substance misuse psychiatry. Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management Use of relevant tools, e.g. HCR20, HONOS
WORK EXPERIENCE Essential
- Higher specialist training/extensive UK experience in acute psychiatry.
- Experience of Forensic Team working at consultant or Advance Trainee/SpR level.
SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS Essential
- Of Specialty Understanding of wider NHS context and recent policy developments.
- Management Skills, Audit, Research. Business skills.
PERSONAL SKILLS AND QUALITIES Essential
- Effective leadership capacity of Multidisciplinary team. Good interpersonal skills Commitment to supervising junior staff.
- Calm but dynamic Supportive Training in work-based placed assessments.
- Willingness to accept lead clinician and management responsibilities for parts of the service.
- Ambitions to take part in the wider activities of the consultant role e.g. audit, tutoring, research.
OTHER RELEVANT FACTORS Essential
- Commitment to high quality service, full driving licence or able to make own transport arrangements.
- To start as soon as possible.
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Employer details Employer name
Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust
Final base TBC
https://www.ghc.nhs.uk/who-we-are/jobs/ (Opens in a new tab)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.