We are seeking 2 specialist SLTs to join our established team who are already at band 6 level, or ready for their next career step. Experience of working in mental health is desirable, but we have seen time and again that skills from other settings are highly transferable.
We are looking for someone who is;
- Passionate about supporting mental health conditions
- Skilled and pro-active in advocating for people with SLCN and swallowing difficulties
- Skilled at identifying complex SLCN and swallowing needs and linking these to risk
- Enjoys working closely with a MDT members including psychiatrists, social workers, nursing staff, OTs and host of other professionals
- Works towards reducing health inequalities
- Develops therapeutic goals and interventions that are functional and patient-led
- Enjoys working with SLTAs and guiding therapy plans
- Ready to supervise others
- Self-motivated and a problem-solver
- Develops through self-reflection and effective clinical supervision
- Keen to support service development and projects
Rampton Hospital is a High Secure mental health facility in north Nottinghamshire. Care streams include male mental health and personality disorder, and national high secure services for learning disabilities, d/Deaf services and women's services.
SLTs work to ensure that SLCN and swallowing needs are identified and addressed. We embed good practices in the management of dysphagia, communication accessibility and use of communication skills in professional practice.Main duties of the job
Direct patient care duties will include;
- Facilitating assessments of SLCN and dysphagia.
- Providing written information regarding patients' SLCN and dysphagia needs in the form of reports, care plans and easy read information.
- Engaging in joint goal setting with the patient and wider MDT.
- Directly providing, or developing and supporting other staff to deliver, direct interventions to address SLCN and dysphagia. This may be through 1:1 or group interventions.
- Supporting offender/ psychological programmes to ensure that they are accessible for those with communication needs.
Indirect duties will include;
- Delivering training for other staff on SLCN and dysphagia.
- Mentoring and supervising others.
- Advising on environmental adaptations and good practice in regards to SLCN and dysphagia.
- Actively seeking opportunities for CPD and self-directed learning.
- Prioritising and balancing direct patient care and administrative duties.
- Modelling good communication practices and supporting others in implementing the same.
- Identifying areas for service development and working with Clinical Lead SLTs to address these.
We have a huge variety of opportunities in our expansive Trust covering geographically from South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire to Leicester, providing mental health inpatient and community services, community health services, forensic mental health services and secure prison healthcare across the East Midlands.
We have more than 100 sites and a huge scope of unique opportunities to develop your career and gain some amazing experiences. We strive to be a great place to work and offer many staff benefits and tailored staff support and wellbeing programmes. Do you want to make a difference?Do you believe in Trust, Honesty, Respect, Compassion and Teamwork?
Then Nottinghamshire Healthcare is the perfect place for you to start, maintain or further your career. Join our team of nearly 9000 who are making a difference every day. We are all about our people - our staff, volunteers, carers, service users and patients. We are NottsHC.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @NottsHealthcareJob descriptionJob responsibilities
Please see the job description and person specification for full details.
- You will be responsible for your own caseload, under the supervision of clinical lead SLTs.
- You will be responsible for supervising junior SLT staff, and other professionals.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that you work within good practice standards.
Speak to us about;
Person SpecificationPhysical requirmentsEssential
- Visa sponsorship
- Support for re-location costs
- Our refer a friend scheme
- Opportunities for career development in our trust
- To undertake relevant mandatory training and engage in the management of violence and aggression.
- Ability to escort and maintain custody of patients both within and outside of secure environments.
- Ability to respond to serious and emergency incidents
- Recognised Professional Qualification
- Registration with HCPC and RCSLT
- Post-graduate dysphagia training at a basic level or supervised experience of treating dysphagia
- Experience of working as part of a Multi-Disciplinary Team
- Experience of working with adults or children with mental health problems or within forensic settings
- Experience in delivery of structured groups
- Experience of working with adults with special needs i.e. Intellectual Disabilities, Autism or Deaf patients
- An in depth awareness of issues regarding challenging behaviour
- Ability to manage complex cases including dual diagnosis, presentation and effects of the environment
- Ability to evidence specialist knowledge of communication problems in Mental Health or Intellectual Disability
- Knowledge of clinical evidence base and relevant literature
- An awareness of relevant legislation e.g. Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act,
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to communicate effectively with other professionals and carers
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to recognise conflict and generate potential solutions
- Good time management
- Able to prioritise workload
- Adaptability in response to others
- Established negotiation skills, management of conflict and the ability to generate solutions
- Research and/or clinical audit skills
- Skills in developing/delivering structured groups
- Able to work within all Trust and hospital policies and procedures and in line with the code of ethics of the relevant professional body.
- Able to work within hours and duties to meet service needs.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.