The appointment is for a Consultant Psychiatrist in Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services in Gloucestershire. This post is one of six posts serving Gloucestershire. The post will support Specialist CAMHS clinics across the county but primarily focus on services in the East of the County.
CAMHS in Gloucestershire has two main bases - in Gloucester and in Cheltenham. We also satellite clinic rooms in Stroud, Forest of Dean and Cirencester.
The post holder will have cases at Evergreen House, Cheltenham and cover localities of City of Cheltenham, Tewkesbury, Cirencester, Stroud and Cotswold according to GP post code.
Well supported extensive Multidisciplinary Teams providing direct evidenced based interventions in Schools (Trailblazer Young Minds Matter) through to our effective Outreach Team (Intensive Home Treatment).
Our Peer Group is compassionate, supportive and practices a culture that encourages a duty of candour.
Main duties of the job
To provide Psychiatric oversight with the MDT to young people.
To support the MDT, provide clinical leadership and review the quality of the care we provide.
We encourage a healthy work-life balance and we have regular away days.
Our medical directorate also supports Consultants through positive relationships with the LNC and Medical Staffing Committee.
At Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust, we are supportive of the people we care for in the community and aim to provide a fully responsive service to everyone who needs it. This is the same approach we take for our employees. We look to value the skills and experiences of those we work with, whether they are service users, carers, families or those looking to work with us.
Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust is part of the NHS. We treat NHS patients according to NHS principles and standards. The difference is the Trust is accountable to local people, rather than to Government, and so we are able to work closely with our community to develop services in the way that best suits the needs of local people.
Job description Job responsibilities
The post holder will be expected to provide psychiatric input to children and young people referred to CAMHS registered with GPs in Gloucestershire. Psychiatrists work in treatment clinics with multi-disciplinary colleagues to deliver either general CAMHS intervention or more specialist team work such as neurodevelopmental work.
Psychiatrists also deliver medication clinics. Multi-disciplinary groups meet regularly to discuss ongoing work as well as for work planning and case discussion. There is a weekly team meeting in each of the two main team bases. Safeguarding supervision also takes place regularly. The service works to the Care Co-ordinator system. Many consultant cases will be supported by a Care Co-ordinator from the team. The remainder will be straightforward medication review cases for whom multi-disciplinary support can be sought in the event of emerging increased complexity. The average number of sessions for treatment completion and discharge is between 8 and 10. The locality teams meet to discuss ongoing work and the post holder will meet the functional groups of clinicians regularly for work planning and discussion; e.g. specialist treatment clinics. Consultants only taking Care Co-ordinator roles for cases which require straight forward medical care only. This enables Consultants to contribute fully to multi-disciplinary team work. Intervention work is largely provided by specialist staff often in conjunction with the consultant. The average number of sessions for treatment completion and discharge is eight.
We support development of areas of clinical and professional development in keeping with service delivery, as well as your own personal development.
Please note the job description reflects the full time vacancy, however part time would be considered please discuss at interview.
Person Specification Qualifications and Training Essential
- Medical Degree Full GMC Registration GMC Specialist Register in Child Psychiatry or Learning Disability or within 6 Months of qualifying
- MRCPsych Recipient of prizes or special awards Registration for or completion of a higher degree in Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Experience in research, training or public understanding of psychiatry Completed recent audit
- Research experience of research projects including presentation of results
- Prior teaching experience at under-graduate and post-graduate level Experience of delivering excellent teaching for medical under-graduates Evidence of participation
Clinical Skills and Knowledge Essential
- Strategic thinker with leadership skills Able to demonstrate and motivate others to contribute to improving child and adolescent mental health Understanding of the NHS context and recent policy developments
- An interest in modern approaches to NHS business models
Personal Skills Essential
- Able to talk to children and young people Flexible can do approach Able to manage own workload and work to deadlines Excellent organisational skills Attention to detail and good time management Able to work well independently and in a team Good interpersonal skills Able to communicate effectively orally and in writing to clinical and non-clinical audiences Effective leadership able to support multi- disciplinary team Supervision of junior staff
Other relevant factors Essential
- Commitment to high quality service Full driving licence valid in UK and able to make own transport arrangements
Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab).
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab).
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window).
Employer details Employer name
Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust
https://www.ghc.nhs.uk/who-we-are/jobs/ (Opens in a new tab)
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.