As a Deputy Ward Manager on Ash Ward, you will be a role model, leader and clinical lead. A Deputy Ward Manager is an exciting role where you will take leadership responsibilities and develop your clinical leadership, while maintaining your hands-on nursing skills
. The emphasis of this role is about promoting clinical expertise and teaching, whilst being a key member of the ward leadership team.
Ash Ward is a dynamic 15 bedded Male Medium Secure and Forensic ward. We
have to consider a complex picture for our service users of victims of significant trauma and abuse, but also perpetrators of violence. We explore through a multi-disciplinary approach including psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists how to support our service users. We use different professionals' expertise to analyse the needs of our service users including exploring the trauma, minimisation of risk, coping strategies, positive behaviour plans etc.
To protect the health and safety of our staff/workers, patients, and those attending our sites, we encourage our workforce to get fully vaccinated against COVID
Main duties of the job
Ash Ward is a dynamic work place and requires nurses to manage an ever-changing environment. As a Deputy Ward Manager, your responsibilities will
- Up hold the values of the ward promoting openness, transparency and learning
- Supervision of junior staff
- Enthusiastic mentor to new staff, newly qualified nurses and junior staff
- Oversee certain areas of clinical expertise such as medication management and physical health provision on the ward
- Support the Ward Manager with HR tasks such as return to works and sickness monitoring
- Accurate and timely clinical documentation
- Manage shifts as a nurse in charge
- Work a mixture of shifts including Long Days (07:00 - 19:30) and Nights (19:00 - 07:30)
- Conducting thorough assessments of risks and risk management plans to support incidents on the ward
We are looking for an individual who is resilient, driven and passionate to provide high quality nursing care to our patients, whist supporting the leadership on Ash ward.
- Travel easily between coast and countryside, with a blend of picturesque villages and seaside towns there's always new experiences to be enjoyed
- With easy access to Gatwick and Heathrow and excellent railway links across the UK there is plenty of opportunity for adventure
Our organisation is rated 'good' overall and 'outstanding' for caring by the Care Quality Commission. Our staff agree, with 82% of people in our recent staff survey telling us that they recognise that care for patients is our top priority.
Other key staff survey results include:
- 70% highlighting flexible working opportunities as a key point for satisfaction at work
- 79% reporting feeling able to make suggestions to improve the work within their team
- 77% identifying the opportunities to show initiative in their roles
This post offers a Golden Hello, or a Relocation package up to a maximum of £2000. (pro rata applies and subject to terms and conditions. Please see attached Protocol document).
Job description Job responsibilities
The post holder will assess, plan and implement care, and provide specialist nursing advice and carry out specialist nursing procedures in the agreed care group. They will provide clinical and managerial leadership to junior staff, providing supervision to staff and students. They will assist the Ward Manager in ensuring the effective running of the ward.
We are also aware that nationally there is a current shortage of RMNs which is why we want you to choose us. We have introduced the Hard to Recruit and Retain Premia for our band 5 and band 6 nurses. This supplement will follow the principles of Agenda for Change and will be based on the Fringe Allowance, which is 5% of salary or a minimum of £1066 and a maximum of £1,845.
See attached Job Description and Person Specification for full details.
Please apply using the link in this advert, or for more information explore the attachments or contact:
Loraine Hamilton Ash Ward Manager
(We are happy to arrange informal visits currently Covid dependant)
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Professional qualification
- Diploma in Mental Health Nursing
- Registered Nurse with current registration (mental health / LD/ Adult) appropriate to the job role
- Completion of Mentorship Course/ENB equivalent
- Evidence of continuous professional development
- Significant post qualifying experience relevant to the care group
- Experience of working alongside people with severe mental health problems particularly in their acute phase of illness
- Experience of supervising staff
- Experience of working within a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience of conducting clinical assessments including risk assessments
- Experience of partnership working within and across various statutory and non statutory teams and agencies
- Experience of working within the CPA process
- Understanding of clinical governance
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.