We are looking for enthusiastic and motivated Occupational Therapists to join our band 5 OT Rotation, which includes a range of 9-month placements at Langley Green Hospital in Crawley. This provides a really good foundation for Occupational Therapists starting out in their careers or for other band 5 Occupational Therapists that wish to gain further experience.
There are currently 3 rotation placements available but we are working towards expanding opportunities across Sussex. The roles are as follows:
Placement A - A joint role between Crisis Home Treatment Team and Acute Day services
The Crisis Home Treatment Team is part of acute care and works closely with the acute hospital and community teams to support clients in a mental health crisis. It offers clients care and support in their own homes together with a day service group programme based as an alternative to hospital admission.
Acute Day Services provide psycho-educational groups for community mental health service users; based on the most up-to-date evidence base practice.
Placement B- Coral Ward is a 19 bedded mixed acute mental health ward.
Placement C -Opal Ward a 20 bedded mixed ward predominately for older adults. Our award winning ' Home First' team is also based here.
Please note that we welcome applications from students that are awaiting their HCPC registration (please declare in your application that you are qualified and awaiting your registration).
Main duties of the job
This Rotation offers OT's the chance to consolidate their knowledge, and develop OT specific and generic skills that are transferable across teams, and service user groups. We are looking therefore for people who will take the opportunities afforded by this, and who can foster effective working relationships with professionals and with service users.
The post-holders will be expected to assess and deliver, evidence-based OT interventions, to facilitate wellbeing, and optimise independent functioning in self-care, productivity and leisure activities, from an occupational perspective.
Interventions take place in home environments, community settings and the in-patient ward, with flexibility of working required to meet service user needs.
There is an expectation to be involved in projects or service developments happening within teams allowing the post-holder to develop their skills within this area.
All Occupational Therapists have access to supervision, yearly appraisal and CPD networks. For newly qualified Occupational Therapist we offer a Preceptorship programme. Additional training is supported and encouraged, together with leadership development programmes.
Job description Job responsibilities
To be a core member of the local clinical team, using mental health and occupational therapy assessments.
- To manage a caseload of clients with mental health needs.
- To plan and implement client centred individual and group interventions, using graded activity to achieve therapeutic goals.
- To identify occupational therapy goals as part of the overall care plan.
- To monitor, evaluate and modify treatment in order to measure progress and ensure effectiveness of intervention.
- To apply an understanding of the effect of disability and provide training and advice on lifestyles changes and adaptations to the clients social and physical environment.
- To carry out carers assessments and implement a plan of care accordingly.
- Have a basic working knowledge of the medication prescribed for the persons in their care. To include usual dosage, common side effects and the need for any special monitoring. Any reported or observed side effects must be brought to the attention of the prescriber.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Degree/Diploma in occupational therapy
- Registration with the HPC as an occupational therapist
- Evidence of successful completion of a COT standard preceptorship programme
- Experience of working with people with mental health difficulties
- Experience working as part of a team
- Experience running groups/activities
- Experience of being supervised
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.