An exciting opportunity has now arisen and we are in the position to recruit a Deputy Ward Manager to be part of dynamic, multi-disciplinary team working at our older adult functional inpatient ward based at the Mental Health Unit, St Margaret's Hospital in Epping.
Main duties of the job
We offer a service which is provided by a team that shares the workload fairly, acknowledges individual abilities and skills and recognises the individual staff member's responsibility when providing care. Staff support and supervision are integral to our service. The Ward team is multidisciplinary, consisting of Nurses, Consultant Psychiatrist, clerical staff, domestics, Psychologists and Occupational Therapists with close liaison with Social Services, and other related disciplines.
An understanding of the Recovery Model approach is required, taking into account the needs of families and carer's, whilst providing leadership to a team and be prepared to become part of an established multidisciplinary team.
EPUT are looking for motivated staff who shares our Trust values of Care, Learn and Empower. In return, EPUT can offer you a range of benefits and development including;
- Season Ticket Loans
- NHS discounts for staff
- Excellent Training facilities and opportunities
- Buying and Selling annual leave scheme
- The opportunity to work bank shifts and expand knowledge and experience in other areas
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars and Cycle to Work
- Day One Flexible Employer
The Trust supports and actively encourages flexible working for all employees. We offer many options and you are encouraged to ask the recruiting manager what is possible for this role. If appointed, you will have the opportunity to apply for a flexible working request from the first day of your employment
Join our Staff bank
What is Staff Bank?
Our EPUT NHS staff bank is an entity managed by the trust that hires clinical and non-clinical healthcare professionals to take on shifts at our trust hospitals and community settings. Here at EPUT we maintain our own bank of specialist staff to ensure that we are able offer safe and effective care at all times.
All our permanent staff are automatically enrolled onto the staff bank however this does not mean you have to work any additional shifts, but the option is there for you if you wish.
If you are joining our Trust in a fixed term role, please indicate on your New Starter Paperwork that you wish to join our staff bank.
Job description Job responsibilities
The post holder works under the overall supervision of the Ward Manager, but is required to undertake the duties of the post without direct supervision. They are required to teach of other nursing and non-nursing staff allocated to their particular area. The post holder is designated as the person to take charge regularly in the absence of the Ward Manager, with prior agreement with that person, undertaking defined managerial responsibility for the ward. In addition, the post holder will be expected to take a key role as lead on the clinical practice within the area, will demonstrate good leadership skills whilst ensuring robust standards of care are in place, including physical, mental health and social needs ensuring these are implemented and evaluated.
We are looking for people who can bring commitment, fresh ideas, and determination to take forward our service in new and innovative ways. In return we offer Training and development of staff, support through regular Supervision and Appraisal, assisting you in setting realistic objectives.
St Margaret's Hospital has close transport links to London Underground station, plus easy access to the M11 and M25 with free parking on site.
Person Specification Education/Qualifications Essential
- Registered Mental Health Nurse
- A sound knowledge of CPA
- Proven experience at band 5
- Evidence of further personal development
- oExcellent knowledge of clinical conditions and systems of good practice in modern mental health services
- oCompetent in leading and prioritising
- oSound observation skills and knowledge of risk management and assessment
- oAbility to lead a team of nurses and safely manage a ward on a shift to shift basis
- oAbility to deputise for the Senior Sister when required
- oAble to undertake comprehensive assessments, including physical health, health promotion and social inclusion
- oCompetent in planning and managing a shift
- oAct in a way that promotes confidence for junior members of staff
Additional Requirements Essential
- oParticipate in clinical audit
- oCompetent in practising ethically and challenge inequality
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.