Are you looking for your next role as a dynamic clinical leader in Acute Inpatient Psychiatry?
As the inpatient consultant on Juniper Ward, you will provide medical leadership to a multi-disciplinary team on an 18-bed inpatient male and female ward based within the Long Fox Unit at Weston General Hospital.
This post is supported by a full time Trust Grade Doctor and a CT1 .
North Somerset Mental Health has a forward thinking and inclusive medical community, committed to medics being at the forefront of making changes for the better. We are passionate about your development and helping you to achieve your career aspirations. You will be encouraged and supported to be involved in service leadership and management.
Main duties of the job
As the ward consultant you will deliver direct interventions and weekly review to inpatients including those patients who require use of the Mental Health Act who are difficult to engage. This will include on-going assessment, diagnoses (including review and clarification) and treatment of mental and physical health needs.
You will lead the ward rounds and will provide advice and support to members of the ward team including junior medical staff.
You will be responsible for MHA related work, including reports and attendance at tribunals.
You will be an integral part of psychoeducation, crisis, relapse prevention and care planning for inpatients and will liaise with other parts of the service, including community MH teams; GPs and non NHS organisations wherever applicable. You willliaise with the Intensive and recovery services as appropriate to facilitate the smooth handover of clients between services.
About us We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
Clinical Skills Essential
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
Personal Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in and Inpatient setting.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and Audit Essential
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.