Band 5 Speech and Language Therapist to work in the Community Team for People with Learning Disability Full time substantive post - 37.5 hours Based in Newland House, Campbell Square, Northampton, but working across Northamptonshire
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Speech and Language Therapist to join our Learning Disability Service in Northamptonshire following an internal promotion.
As part of the specialist multidisciplinary team, you will assess and provide support and intervention to people with a learning disability who have communication difficulties and / or eating and drinking needs.
You will need to be passionate about working with people who have a learning disability.
Main duties of the job
We can offer you a friendly and dynamic team environment, with a commitment to continuing professional development. You will be part of an established Speech and Language Therapy team within community learning disability services across Northamptonshire, who will provide regular clinical supervision and peer support.
The Northamptonshire Community Team for People with Learning Disability delivers specialist multi-disciplinary healthcare to adults who have a learning disability presenting with physical health needs, a mental illness and / or challenging behaviour. The service provided is person centred and tailored to the individual and their environment, taking into account their ethnic and cultural backgrounds and needs. We provide this through direct support, joint working with other services and / or through offering consultancy to other professionals involved.
Flexible working will be considered.
For further information or an informal discussion please contact:
Georgia Frith (Speech and Language Therapy Lead North) on 07885 977058
NHFT is an integrated primary care and mental health Trust, providing physical, mental health and specialty services in both hospital settings and out in the community. Because we put the person at the centre of all we do, we focus on delivering care that is as easy to access as possible. This means many of our services can be provided at home, work or in schools.We also provide health services to various prisons and detention centres in Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire.
Job description Job responsibilities
For further information on the advertised role, please refer to the job description located under the Supporting Documents heading. The full person specification can be accessed under the About You Section of the document.
Person Specification Qualifications and training Essential
- Recognised SALT qualification (degree or postgraduate diploma)
- HCPC registered RCSLT member
- Completion of RCSLT newly qualified practitioner competencies
- Completion of specialist short courses in AAC
- Completion of specialist short courses in challenging behaviour/positive behaviour support
- Completion of dysphagia competencies - specialist short course/ in-house training and log of supervised hours
- Working with people with learning disabilities
- Working as part of MDT
- Planning, delivery and evaluation of training
- Supervision of assistants/ volunteers or other supervision experience
- Working with people with eating and drinking difficulties
Skills, knowledge and abilities Essential
- Able to carry out a speech and language therapy assessment, formulate a diagnosis and use appropriate therapy approaches
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with people from a wide variety of backgrounds and ability to make reasonable adjustments as required
- Able to drive and has access to a car for work
- Knowledge of national policies affecting people with learning disabilities
- Knowledge of current issues and best practice in Speech and Language Therapy
Behaviours and values Essential
- Passion for/ interest in working with people with learning disabilities
- Positivity and strength based approach and person centred values
- Evidence of maintaining knowledge of latest evidence and best practice in Speech and Language Therapy and learning disabilities
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.