Would you like to be part of shaping high quality inpatient services for adults with Learning Disabilities and to develop your specialism in this area?
We have a real opportunity to shape an integrated MDT into two small inpatient units (one state of the art, under construction) with dedicated Speech and Language Therapy provision.
The post holder will be working within a Learning Disability specialist inpatient Speech and Language Therapy team in the geographical area of Sandwell. The specialist inpatient settings are part of Transforming Care Assessment and Treatment and Forensic pathways.
We are looking for an enthusiastic therapist who is looking to develop into this area of specialism. We have an established competency framework for transition from Agenda for Change band 5 into band 6. There is excellent management and supervision support and connection with MDT and SLT colleagues.
Main duties of the job
This post involves providing specialist Speech and Language Therapy assessment and intervention to adults with learning disabilities presenting with a broad range of communication difficulties and/or swallowing difficulties and delivering and developing training for Trust staff, care providers and families.
We are a forward-thinking, friendly and supportive specialist Speech and Language Therapy service. We have 18 Speech and Language Therapy staff working across the service within the community, enhanced inpatient settings and pathway teams reducing hospital admissions across the Black Country.
Continuing professional development is actively supported via annual appraisals, opportunities to attend webinars/courses, regular clinical supervision opportunities and through networking and skill sharing with SLT colleagues from across the service.
What you can expect from us:
Support to complete Newly Qualified competencies
Regular specialist supervision
Informal shadowing and support
External training and CPD opportunities
Access to iPad with paid apps, internal accredited training in Makaton and Talking Mats
Internal and external networking in specialist areas
Friendly and down-to-earth 'bostin' staff teams
Comprehensive wellbeing offer
Job description Job responsibilities
Assess, diagnose, and manage the communication and/or swallowing needs of patients referred to the service in inpatient settings. Responsible for initial patient diagnosis and assessment under the supervision of a senior SLT clinician:
- Collection of detailed case history information
- Informal assessment and observation
- Undertakes clinical work with individuals and groups of clients
- Uses formal standardised assessment and informal assessment procedures
- Reads and abides by risk assessments relating to patients of the service.
- Communicates assessment and therapeutic findings within the multi-disciplinary team.
- Completes contemporaneous case notes and written clinical information completion according to Trust procedures.
- Undertakes specialist clinical work with individuals and groups of clients with guidance from senior SLT.
- Develops coordinated multidisciplinary programmes of care / care packages.
- Makes decisions leading to SLT review or discharge of clients and/or referral to other services, as appropriate.
- Is responsible for managing own clinical caseload and cases under guidance of a more senior clinician.
- Provides both direct and indirect intervention, consultation, advice and support; working within a multi-disciplinary model in order to ensure that the inter-agency needs of clients are met.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Degree in SLT at 2:2 or above
- HCPC registration
- Interest or experience in LD
- Post-graduate experience in LD
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.