Are you passionate about delivering sustainable, high quality mental health services? Do you want to work in a friendly, committed and established service where your knowledge, experience and skills will be valued?
We are looking for a Consultant Psychiatrist to provide clinical input and leadership to the North Somerset Recovery Team, based at the Coast Resource Centre. This service aims to provide specific interventions to enable those with severe and enduring mental health problems to achieve their highest level of independent function and recovery.
The North Somerset Recovery team is divided into 3 geographical work streams. Work stream 1 and 2 cover Weston Super Mare and the area around, work stream 3 covers rural villages and Clevedon and Portishead. The size of each work stream and the work load are fairly similar. Each work stream has a case load between 190-220 service users. This post is to cover work stream 1 which looks after clients in Weston Town. The current case load in work stream 1 is around 200 service users.
The post holder will also provide medical input to the 7 bedded community based inpatient rehab unit at Elham Way for 1 day per week.
Main duties of the job
As the Consultant for this team you will deliver direct interventions to service users at a level of intensity according to need, including those service users who require an assertive approach who are difficult to engage. This will include ongoing assessment, diagnoses (including review and clarification) and treatment of mental and physical health needs.
You will be responsible for the mental health care of service users in line with new ways of working, monitoring and evaluating service delivery and care through regular reviews. You will actively participate in team and personal caseload management and supervision.
You will supervise the medical team that provides medical care and act as RC for service users in collaboration with other teams and Consultants.
North Somerset Mental Health has a forward thinking and inclusive medical community dedicated to making changes for the better. We are committed to your development and helping you to achieve your career aspirations. You will be encouraged and supported to be involved in service leadership and management. We offer one of the most competitive and flexible benefits packages.
About us We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in Genera; Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a community setting.
Personal Skills Essential
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Clinical Skills Essential
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Ability to assess and treat treatment resistant psychosis (including with complex co-morbidity) and work within recognised rehabilitation and recovery frameworks.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and Audit Essential
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.