An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Band 6 Occupational Therapist in mental health to join a dynamic and creative team. The post is in our established Acute Therapy Service (ATS) based in Preston.
The ATS is a psychologically led service that provides an alternative to inpatient admission for emotionally dysregulated individuals who are in crisis. The aim of the service is to provide brief structured psychological input based on Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) principles; the service also provides practical, occupational and social support and respite within a safe and containing environment.
Main duties of the job
The duties will include consideration of referrals, assessment of risk, formulation and care planning for individuals attending ATS who present with complex need and emotional dysregulation, focusing on those service users with occupational needs. The post holder will be expected to deliver OT specific group sessions and 1:1 assessment of occupational need. There is also an expectation that the post holder will contribute to the daily functioning of the ATS service; receiving referrals, completing first and last day assessments, and documenting daily meetings with service users. The post holder will also be responsible for acting up in the Team Leaders absence and to take on some leadership roles.
As this is a DBT led service the post holder will support the therapists to facilitate DBT informed skills groups and ensure that the service is model adherent. The role will also involve supporting and empowering service users to implement coping strategies learned in the ATS service.
You will receive regular management and clinical supervision, with opportunities to develop clinical and professional practice to enable you to deliver DBT informed approaches in line with service user needs and organizational values.
Lancashire & South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust provides a range of services including secondary mental health care across this area. Specialist provision comprises inpatient child and adolescent mental health services, perinatal mental health and forensic services including low and medium secure care.
The Trust also provides a range of physical health and well-being services in the community alongside a range of partners in the Lancashire, Cumbria and Sefton area.
Lancashire & South Cumbria Foundation Trust encourages flexible working, we believe that a positive work/life balance benefits NHS employees through improved health and wellbeing. We would consider working patterns such as; term time, part time, compressed hours, flexi-time and career breaks. We encourage applicants to state clearly on their application forms this request and discuss these options at interview.
For more information please visit our website via Lancashire & South Cumbria NHS FT.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please see attached the job description and person specification for more information about this role.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Diploma/BSC (Hons) in Occupational Therapy (OT)
- State registered with Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC)
- Post Graduate training relevant to mental health work in appropriate speciality
- Documented evidence of continuing professional development (CPD)
- Practice Placement Qualification (Undergraduate OT student educator) within 1 year of appointment
- Demonstrable competencies in the delivery of group based skills training
- Willingness to undertake DBT training within 12 months of appointment
- Detailed knowledge of how mental health problems impact on occupational performance and how occupational therapy theory informs practice within mental health settings
- Knowledge of current best practice in inpatient mental health and awareness of relevant government directives and legislation
- Specialist knowledge and application of OT assessments and interventions using expert level clinical reasoning.
- Ability to work autonomously and set own and others priorities
- Ability to work as autonomous senior OT within an MDT
- Excellent presentation and training skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.