This is an exciting consultant post in general adult psychiatry with a dynamic team based at Bethlem Royal Hospital, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust (SLaM). The role includes the option of an academic affiliate programme at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience at KCL.
Gresham 1 ward provides psychiatric assessment and treatment for female inpatients, and averages 5 admissions and discharges per week.Along with the Ward Manager, the post-holder will be expected to provide clinical, operational and strategic leadership to the ward. The leadership team are expected to work proactively with managers and clinical staff to ensure a high-quality service is provided to all patients, and to support the development of performance standards to ensure the service is responsive to and meeting the needs of its patients.
Main duties of the job
The main duties of this 10 PA consultant post are to provide psychiatry consultant leadership and to act as Approved Clinician to the Gresham 1 ward. The post holder will provide clinical cover for the other Croydon borough Consultants and vice versa. Gresham 1 ward is a 20-bed acute mental health ward for women aged 18-65 years.
- To provide enthusiastic, and flexible, joint clinical leadership and consultant input into the Gresham 1 ward, alongside the ward manager.
- To take Consultant responsibility for Gresham 1 ward patients, acting as Approved Clinician and assessing or supervising assessment and management of patients and devising or helping to devise appropriate treatment plans and medication regimes, providing prompt medical response, and advising and work closely with other members of the multidisciplinary team.
- To offer expert risk assessment and management skills in complex care of people with severe acute mental illness.
- To ensure excellence in the delivery of evidence-based treatments.
- To act as a source of support, advice, and information to current or prospective patients and their carers, referrers, team members and other professionals.
Acute inpatient care of Croydon residents is provided at the Bethlem Royal Hospital in Beckenham, a large site with extensive grounds that includes the famous Bethlem museum. There are a number of specialist and national mental health services based at the site - e.g. CAMHS, forensic services, neuropsychiatry, eating disorders, mother & baby unit, anxiety disorder residential unit, and others - many of which have featured on national TV.
The advertised post is based on Gresham 1 which is a 20-bed ward for adult female service users aged 18-65 years. The ward provides inpatient psychiatric assessment, treatment and care to help reduce the risk of harm to self and others. There is another female acute ward (Fitzmary 1) and two male acute wards (Tyson West 1 and Gresham 2) on the Bethlem site, and a 10-bed male psychiatric intensive care unit (Croydon PICU). Gresham 1 is paired with Fitzmary 1 for consultant cross-cover of SPA days.
Gresham 1 has two junior trainees and one higher trainee, with the post-holder holding consultant responsibility for the patients. The ward has a large multi-professional team who work with the patients, carers and other primary and secondary services. This includes a full-time Occupational Therapist, a visiting psychologist and in-reach from drug & alcohol and housing support workers.
Job description Job responsibilities
Leadership and service improvement
- Support staff wellbeing and development, working flexibly and creatively with the multidisciplinary team to promote a culture which develops and improves the mental healthcare for patients and informed risk-taking and anti-discriminatory practice
- Support the team leadership in ensuring the service meets CQC standards, comply with the Trusts clinical and operational policies and procedures, and take an active role in business planning with senior managers, including participation in management and operational meetings as appropriate
- Keep themselves and their team informed of developments in commissioning and NHS strategy (e.g. the Community Mental Health Framework for Adults and Older Adults, the NHS Long Term Plan), and attend London-wide and national general adult psychiatry meetings as appropriate.
- Contribute and lead on teaching, research, audit and service improvement, using a Quality Improvement and evidence-based approach to inform the development of the service to meet the needs of patients, the team and local stakeholders, including the direct supervision of students and junior doctors
- Participate in the Trust Clinical Governance Programme, including investigation and management of incidents and complaints, and attending the Quality Governance Committee when appropriate
- Act as a source of support, advice and information for current and prospective service users and their carers, referrers, team members and other professionals.
- Provide consultant input and Responsible Clinician duties for inpatients on Gresham 1 Ward
- Ensure excellence in the provision of mental health assessments and evidence-based treatments to all referred patients to the service in line with Trust policies
- Establish a reliable and accessible work schedule with the team and be readily available by mobile phone during work hours
- Work collaboratively with SLaM colleagues in community and inpatient settings concerning the timely care and transfer of patients as necessary
- Ensure appropriate administration and documentation in relation to the duties of the post, including recording clinical activities in the Trust electronic patient record system (ePJS).
- Liaise with primary care services as appropriate about patients physical and mental health care, including social care needs
- Help coordinate further support and/or management between different services as service users needs may dictate
On-call and cover arrangements
- Participate in the Croydon General Adult Psychiatry on-call rota, which is approximately 1 in 12 (pro-rata). The consultant is third on-call after a CT trainee and ST trainee; on-call work is remunerated at 1% of annual salary.
- Consultants are expected to participate in reciprocal cover arrangements with colleagues when taking leave, including arranging swaps for on-calls
- Gresham 1 ward is paired with Fitzmary 1 (17-bed female acute ward) at Bethlem Royal Hospital, with the consultants providing reciprocal nominal cover for SPA sessions.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Full registration with the General Medical Council with a license to practice
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register or within 6 months of eligibility
- Clinically relevant higher degree (e.g. MSc, PhD)
Clinical skills and experience Essential
- Worked in inpatient psychiatric services
- Experience of supervising junior psychiatry trainees
- Worked in Home treatment teams or mental health liaison
Personal Skills Essential
- Evidence of multi-disciplinary approach to clinical work and of valuing the contributions of others
- Confident in taking the lead in clinical decisions when necessary
- Experience of managing difficult professional relationships or situations
Learning and service improvement Essential
- Actively participate in continuous professional development
- Evidence of a completed audit or service improvement initiative
- Participated in clinical governance processes, e.g. responding to service-user complaints, or investigating Serious Incidents using an RCA framework
Academic skills and interests Essential
- Some experience of research (for those applying for academic affiliate programme with IoPPN)
- Named author or contributor in a relevant academic publication
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.