The NHS Mental Health Implementation Plan identified the need for additional specialist mental health pharmacists in the community to support patients with severe mental illness (SMI). As part of our restructured pharmacy department, we have several opportunities for experienced mental health specialists to join our established team of Advanced Community Mental Health Pharmacists. These are new and exciting roles designed to support patients with SMI live fulfilling independent lives in the community. The established service based in West Essex has been shown to offer vast patient benefits, and this role is now being expanded across other parts of the County. Opportunities are currently available at sites throughout North, Mid and South Essex.
Main duties of the job
These posts are based within a multi-disciplinary team of professionals that accept GP referrals, and have the skill and knowledge to offer expert clinical advice and personalise medication plans in real time, to keep patients well. The role requires more than undertaking medication reviews, although that will be a starting point for some patients on complex regimens. Sometimes remote advice will be required; some patients you will choose to see in person. At other times you will respond to the need to upskill primary care colleagues, giving them the confidence to manage these patients. You will be expected to forge strong professional relationships with specialist nurses, psychologists and consultant psychiatrists. This role requires a zeal for mental health, and a genuine drive to help patients; You will be working to provide practical clinical solutions, and you will be changing patients' lives for the better.
Although community based, these posts form an important pillar of the EPUT pharmacy department. At times, the post holders will need to work on our inpatient wards at times in order to maintain their expertise and contacts in the field. For the same reasons, supervising junior colleagues and a commitment to providing out of hours services are implicit. Post holders should be registered with the GPhC as independent prescribers and be able to demonstrate their clinical credentials.
EPUT are looking for motivated staff who shares our Trust values of Care, Learn and Empower. In return, EPUT can offer you a range of benefits and development including;
- Season Ticket Loans
- NHS discounts for staff
- Excellent Training facilities and opportunities
- Buying and Selling annual leave scheme
- The opportunity to work bank shifts and expand knowledge and experience in other areas
- Salary Sacrifice schemes including lease cars and Cycle to Work
- Day One Flexible Employer
The Trust supports and actively encourages flexible working for all employees. We offer many options and you are encouraged to ask the recruiting manager what is possible for this role. If appointed, you will have the opportunity to apply for a flexible working request from the first day of your employment
Join our Staff bank
What is Staff Bank?
Our EPUT NHS staff bank is an entity managed by the trust that hires clinical and non-clinical healthcare professionals to take on shifts at our trust hospitals and community settings. Here at EPUT we maintain our own bank of specialist staff to ensure that we are able offer safe and effective care at all times.
All our permanent staff are automatically enrolled onto the staff bank however this does not mean you have to work any additional shifts, but the option is there for you if you wish.
If you are joining our Trust in a fixed term role, please indicate on your New Starter Paperwork that you wish to join our staff bank.
Job description Job responsibilities
Responsible for leading and delivering a specialist clinical pharmacy service within ten Primary Care Networks in North East Essex, to support the medicines-related care of patients, address and improve existing pathways in mental health, participate in training, education and research as required, and support robust medicines optimisation across the interface. To work within clinical competence, as part of a multi-disciplinary team, to provide highly specialised advice in medicines optimisation across the PCNs.
- Develop, promote and implement high quality, evidence based, and cost effective use of medicines at the interface, in a manner that maximises the benefits of medicines to patients and service users whilst minimising clinical, legal and financial risks
- To support and influence PCN Pharmacists and GP based Clinical Pharmacists to ensure the pharmaceutical needs of patients with mental illness are met through partnership working at the interface
- To participate as an active member of clinical teams in North East Essex to support the safe and effective use of medicines.
- Communicate highly complex clinical pharmacy advice on the management of patients with mental illness in order to maximise benefit and minimise risk in relation to medicines.
- Develop, promote and implement tools within the interface that support the safe use of psychotropic medicines.
For further details see the full job description and person specification in the additional documents section.
Person Specification Education / Qualifications Essential
- Master's degree in Pharmacy or equivalent
- General Pharmaceutical Council registration
- PG certificate/diploma in mental health pharmacy or equivalent experience
- Member of the RPS / Faculty membership
- Independent prescriber / willing to work towards
- Certificate in management studies / equivalent experience
- Post registration experience in mental health
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience of clinical audit
- Experience of managing quality and cost effectiveness initiatives
- Post registration experience in primary care
- Experience of managing staff
Knowledge / Skills Essential
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing and negotiating skills
- Evidence of CPD
- Proficient IT skills
- Evidence of planning and delivering training
- Evidence of writing procedures, guidelines etc
Personal Qualities Essential
- Driving license / access to a car for work
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.