An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Specialty Doctor to join the Juniper Ward, an 18 bedded mixed gender open adult acute ward based at the Long Fox Unit, Weston General Hospital in North Somerset.
Juniper ward provides a high quality acute inpatient service supported by an experienced multi-disciplinary team. The ward delivers assessment and treatment to patients within a therapeutic environment.
The post offers the chance to broaden knowledge and learn new clinical skills. The post holder will be supported to write tribunal reports and attend MHRT subject to appropriate experience. There are also opportunities to develop a special interest in clinical work, current examples being dual diagnosis, ECT, psychotherapy, liaison and eating disorders. You must have at least four years' full-time postgraduate training (or its equivalent gained on a part-time or flexible basis) at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in Psychiatry or as a fixed term specialty trainee in Psychiatry; or shall have equivalent experience and competencies.
Main duties of the job
As the Specialty Doctor on Juniper you will deliver direct interventions to service users including emergency assessment, diagnoses and treatment of mental and physical health needs. This includes being responsible for the day to day management of service users, i.e. history taking, diagnosis, note keeping, report and letter writing, psychiatric and physical examination, investigations, pharmacological treatment, and discharge planning.
You will be responsible for the mental health care of all inpatients through daily ward reviews, attending the ward daily from Monday to Friday.
Working collaboratively with the Intensive teams you will provide dedicated input to acute care service coordination by meeting the needs of the service user in inpatient services and enabling timely discharge with robust CPA planning and aftercare arrangements in conjunction with the consultant.
You will actively participate in acute care pathways meetings identifying services users who require access to inpatient or recovery services in a timely manner as well as identifying potential discharges from the inpatient ward.
You will have a Medical legal role for inpatients. This will include the preparation of MHA Tribunal and other reports and attending MHA Tribunals.
You will support the consultant in the training and supervision of junior medical staff, and will contribute to the practice development of the multidisciplinary team.
About us We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust)
a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Job description Job responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Basic Medical Qualification (MBBS or equivalent)
- Membership of the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Section 12 Approval
- Eligible for Full GMC registration with a licence to practise at time of confirmation of appointment.
- Completed at least four years' full-time postgraduate training (or its equivalent gained on a part-time or flexible basis) at least two of which will be in a specialty training programme in Psychiatry or as a fixed term specialty trainee in Psychiatry; or shall have equivalent experience and competencies.
- Ability to manage own time and workload and prioritise clinical work
- Ability to appraise own performance
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Evidence of specific achievements that demonstrate leadership skills
- Up to date knowledge of issues in Mental Health Service for this specialty.
- Commitment to teaching other members of the multi disciplinary team.
- Teaching of undergraduate students
- PGCME or equivalent/aspiration to attain a postgraduate teaching qualification
Research and Audit Essential
- Ability to critically appraise published research.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project
- Experience in involvement in a research project and publication.
- Interest in research
Aptitude & Personal qualities Essential
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work effectively within a Team.
- Commitment to high quality patient centred specialist Mental Health Service provision.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.