Join us in this exciting fixed term role as a Band 7 Speech and Language Therapist working in a growing, dynamic and welcoming team of SaLTs. You will work into an established ASD men's medium secure forensic ward, alongside colleagues from OT, Psychology, Arts Therapies, Social work, Psychiatry and Nursing.
We are a CQC outstanding service within an outstanding Trust, with a strong investment in Quality Improvement. There are many opportunities for CPD for the post holder to further develop their specialism in ASD.
You will be supported with high quality clinical supervision through working in this challenging but highly rewarding setting. We have strong professional links with neighbouring adult SLT teams, providing opportunity for networking and other clinical experiences.
Please contact Kate De La Motta email@example.com to discuss the role.
Main duties of the job
Responsible for the assessment, differential diagnosis, advice, development and implementation of highly specialist treatment plans for a caseload of adults with learning disabilities with highly complex needs.
1.2 Manages a complex caseload from assessment to discharge. Service users may have multiple needs with a combination of physical and mental health conditions or learning disabilities. Service users may demonstrate behaviours that challenge.
1.3 Lead role in ensuring that the highest professional standards and attitudes towards the care of service users and their carers are maintained at all times and that care is delivered with compassion and in accordance with evidence based practice and professional guidelines by all members of the team.
1.4 Provides specialist advice to Speech & Language Therapy staff and other members of the multidisciplinary team and wider Trust through case discussion, formal consultation, clinical supervision and education.
1.5 Liaises with MDT team members and professional partners with the highest professional standards, ensuring effective care is provided to service users.
1.6 Contributes to, and leads on, Capacity assessments where appropriate in accordance with Mental Capacity Act.
1.7 Provides second opinions on clinical matters within the Trust and for other Trusts as requested and as deemed appropriate.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations
Job description Job responsibilities
Please could you kindly refer to the job description and person specification attached to this vacancy.
Person Specification Education and Training Essential
- oBSc in Speech and Language Therapy
- oMasters in a relevant subject or evidence of significant postgraduate study
- oRegistration with HCPC
- oMembership of RCSLT
- oRecognised qualifications in specialist areas relevant to the role
- oPost Basic Dysphagia qualification
- oClinical Supervisory Skills training.
- oQuality improvement training
- oSignificant post-qualification experience as a SaLT
- oPost qualification experience working with learning disabilities / ASD / mental health
- oParticipation in service / systems development
- oSubstantial supervision experience
- oExperience in clinical governance activities
- oSubstantial experience in design and delivery of training
- oSubstantial experience working within MDT teams
- oSignificant post-qualification Dysphagia experience
- oExperience working in forensic / locked settings
- oExperience participating in Quality Improvement projects
- oParticipation in research / development
Knowledge and Skills Essential
- oGood understanding of national strategy, guidance and key standards in own specialist area and their application in practice
- oSpecialist clinical knowledge in own area, particularly Communcation management
- oClinical Governance and its application in practice
- oSafeguarding and its application in practice.
- oDemonstrate effective Clinical leadership
- oClearly articulate the role of the Speech & Language Therapy Service to wide and diverse range of people.
- oCommunicate complex and sensitive information in a manner appropriate to the individual and situation.
- oSolve complex clinical problems
- oRecord complex information accurately and concisely and write reports
- oWork collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team
- oManage own caseload, prioritise and delegate effectively
- oMotivate and work positively and constructively with other members of the team.
- oApply latest research evidence and evaluative thinking in practice
- oProvide effective teaching, training and clinical supervision.
- oUse multimedia materials for presentations in professional settings.
- oCare Programme Approach and its application in practice
- oResearch and Development Methodology
- oMental Health Act and Mental Capacity Act and their application in practice.
- oHR policy and procedure
- oBusiness planning
Personal attributes Essential
- oAble to work in accordance with the Staff Compact and Trust Values and Behaviours.
- oCompassionate in meeting needs of vulnerable people, their families and carers.
- oAble to engage with vulnerable people and work effectively in distressing and challenging circumstances.
- oAble to work flexibly and co-operatively as part of a team.
- oAble to use own initiative and make decisions independently as appropriate to the band.
- oCommitted to continual quality and service improvement.
- oCommitted to promoting a positive image of people with mental health conditions or learning disabilities
- oCommitted to promoting a positive image of the Speech & Language Therapy Service.
- oSelf-aware and committed to professional and personal development
- oAble to reflect and critically appraise own performance and accept and respond positively to feedback from supervision.
- oAbility to travel independently in accordance with Trust policies and service need.
- oThis post is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.