An exciting opportunity has arisen in the Older Adult Psychology Service within Powys Teaching Health Board for an Assistant Psychologist to work with the Dementia Home Treatment Team (DHTT) in South Powys.
The successful applicant will join a small, friendly, and enthusiastic Dementia Home Treatment team based in Bronllys Hospital which provides short term assessment, support and intervention to individuals diagnosed with Dementia and their families/carers.
The post requires attention to detail, enthusiasm and resilience to work within a developing service. The ability to communicate effectively and build rapport and effective relationships at all levels is essential. The post holder will ideally have worked with NHS previously.
The successful candidate can expect weekly clinical supervision with a qualified clinical psychologist and there are many opportunities to develop knowledge, clinical skills and competence through additional training and CPD.
Interviews will be held in Bronllys Hospital and the dates are yet to be confirmed.
Main duties of the job
The Assistant Psychologist will be involved in the delivery of psychological assessments and interventions under the supervision of the Senior Clinical Psychologist. This will include co-facilitating some group interventions and assisting in the development and delivery of additional evidence-based therapeutic approaches. The post holder will work with DHTT colleagues in delivering the service and there are close links with the Memory Assessment Service and Older Adult Community Mental Health Teams in South Powys. The role will involve travel across South Powys to residential services and conducting home visits.
There will be regular opportunities to link in with other psychology services and assistant psychologists across Powys. The post will also require experience in managing routine outcome data, including analysing and interpreting data to inform service evaluation and development.
Experience of working with older adults with complex mental health conditions or dementia is desirable as is the experience of facilitating groups & teaching. Experience in MDT working is also desirable.
The ability to speak Welsh is desirable for this post; English and/or Welsh speakers are equally welcome to apply.
Powys is cited as being a wonderful place to live and work; a rural health setting where you can personally and professionally grow, where patients are at the heart of care provision. If you are an ambitious professional in search of job satisfaction, Powys is the place to be. Whatever your career aspirations, we are committed to supporting and developing you.
Powys Teaching Health Board is responsible for meeting the health and wellbeing needs of the population of Powys. Powys is the largest county in Wales with Snowdonia to the North and the Brecon Beacons to the South, the spectacular scenery is something to behold. Working in partnership, we commission and provide award-winning hospital, community, mental health and learning disability services, so our portfolio is varied and diverse. We are proud to offer patients an unrivalled level of care and range of careers for professionals who want to make a real difference. Did you know - Powys Teaching Health Board accepts applications to retire and return from within the NHS in Wales. If you would like to know more, please contact the Powys Teaching Health Board Workforce team on 01874 712580 or email@example.com Step into Health connects employers in the NHS to people from the Armed Forces community.
Applicants are invited to apply in Welsh, any application submitted in Welsh will not be treated less favourably than an application made in English.
Job description Job responsibilities
To support and enhance the professional psychological care of clients within the Dementia Home Treatment Team (DHTT) by providing psychological assessment and psychological interventions, working according to a plan agreed with a qualified Psychologist and within the overall framework of the policies and procedures for the Service and alongside the DHTT MDT. The Assistant Psychologist will be involved in clinically related administration, the conduct of audits, collection of statistics, and development of audit and/or research projects, teaching and project work.
Supervised by a qualified Psychologist, the Assistant Psychologist will be responsible for the psychological aspects of the multi-disciplinary/multi-agency care provided for individuals, families and carers who have been referred to the DHTT.
You will be able to find a full Job description and Person Specification attached within the supporting documents or please click Apply now to view in Trac.
Person Specification Qualifications and/or Knowledge Essential
- Honours degree in Psychology
- Postgraduate training / experience in relevant area of Applied Psychology and in Research
- Knowledge of, or additional training in, working with individuals with Dementia / older adults with a history of mental health difficulties
- Eligibility for graduate membership of the British Psychological Society
- Previous employment or voluntary or research work with individuals with psychological and/or other difficulties Knowledge of clinical use of psychological assessments Experience of working in an MDT
- Experience of working with individuals with dementia and their families/carers Experience of administering standardised psychological assessments Experience of group work
Aptitude & Abilities Essential
- High level communication skills (verbal and written)
- Knowledge and skills in the use of a range of computer packages e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, SPSS
- Experience of data analysis
- Ability to speak Welsh
- General administrative experience and team working
- Evidence of undertaking presentation to groups
Values & Other Essential
- Demonstrate PTHB Values
- Compassion, competence, communication, courage, and commitment
- Ability to work reliably and consistently under supervision
- Good interpersonal skills, sensitivity, tolerance, self-motivation, and enthusiasm
- Ability to accept and use supervision effectively
- Ability to travel between sites in a timely manner
- Good time management
- Ability to prioritise workload
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.