Consultant Psychiatrist -North East Wandsworth CMHT 10pas Relocation Package Up to £8,000 relocation package available (terms and conditions apply) Are you ready to join our dynamic community mental health services which are undergoing an exciting and innovative transformation! We are looking for consultants with the interest and skills in providing strong medical leadership to take our services forward. We are seeking to recruit a motivated and enthusiastic General Adult Consultant Psychiatrist to work in the North East Wandsworth CMHT based at Springfield Hospital, London SW17
The post-holder will work alongside another part time consultant and be jointly responsible for the clinical care delivered by the team, for the provision of training to Foundation, GPVTS and psychiatry trainees, and the teaching of St George's University of London Medical Students.
If you are a dynamic established consultant psychiatrist fully registered with the GMC as well as holding Approved Clinician and S12 approval under the Mental Health Act. or a specialist trainee within six months of inclusion on the Specialist Register and would be keen to be involved in developing and expanding the service, we would like to hear from you.
Main duties of the job
- Medical leadership, working in the multi-disciplinary team and working closely with, and providing cross-cover to other Consultant Psychiatrists and occasionally their Associate Clinical Director within their borough or service line.
- Overall responsibility for the day-to-day clinical care, risk assessment, risk management, initiation of medication, and the recovery focused care delivered by the Team
- Availability within normal working hours 5 days a week for urgent review and management including formal Mental Health Act assessments.
- Domiciliary visits as required.
- Providing cross-cover for the Consultant colleagues where necessary.
- Management of complex cases
- Allocation of resources, in collaboration with the team manager, to service users and carers.
- Ensuring the delivery of effective, efficient and safe, recovery focused mental health care.
- Multi-disciplinary and multi-agency working with social care, statutory and voluntary and third sector partners.
We offer a number of excellent staff benefits and understand the importance of a healthy work life balance. Some of our benefits are highlighted here:
- Generous pay, pensions and leave, we offer a comprehensive pay, pensions and leave package which is dependent on the role and length of service.
- Work life balance, we support a range of flexible options, such as: part-time working, job sharing, term-time working, compressed hours and working from home.
- Career development, There are plenty of opportunities to progress your career and we support your development through a number of programmes such as mentoring, coaching, positive people management, collective leadership and other talent programmes
- Subsidised car parking - You can park at any of our sites at a reduced rate of £20/month.
- NHS discounts, with discounts up to 10% from a variety of well-known retail brands though Health Service Discounts website.
Other benefits include:
- Eye examinations
- Looking after your health
- Cycle to work scheme
- Car lease scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Childcare vouchers
- Staff restaurants
- Free gym membership
Job description Job responsibilities
- To manage, appraise and give professional supervision to junior medical staff as agreed between consultant colleagues and the medical director and in accordance with the Trusts personnel policies and procedures.
- To ensure that junior medical staff working with the post holder operate within the parameters of the New Deal and are Working Time Directive compliant.
- To undertake the administrative duties and record keeping associated with the care of patients.
- To participate in service and business planning activity for the locality and, as appropriate, for the whole mental health service.
- To carry a mobile smart phone during working hours provided and pain for by the Trust and be contactable by members of the team and other colleagues by phone and email.
- To work flexibly and creatively as part of a multidisciplinary team promoting informed risk taking and anti-discriminatory practice.
- To communicate clearly and effectively with staff of all major disciplines concerned with provision of mental health care.
- To participate in annual appraisal for consultants.
- To attend and participate in the academic programme of the Trust, including lectures and seminars as part of the internal CPD programme.
- To maintain professional registration with the General Medical Council, Mental Health Act Section 12(2) approval, and to abide by professional codes of conduct.
- To participate annually in a job plan review with the clinical manager, which will include consultation with a relevant manager in order to ensure that the post is developed to take into account changes in service configuration and delivery associated with modernisation.
- To work with local managers and professional colleagues in ensuring the efficient running of services and share with consultant colleagues in the medical contribution to management.
- To comply with the Trusts agreed policies, procedures, standing orders and financial instructions, and to take an active role in the financial management of the service and support the medical director and other managers in preparing plans for services.
Person Specification Research and Publications Essential
- Evidence of participation in research, and outcomes of studies
- Higher degree in research
- Completion of a research project and evidence of it's dissemination
- Publication in a peer reviewed journal
- Experience of teaching undergraduate and postgraduate psychiatry
- Teaching Qualification
- Evidence of feedback good from students
Personal skills and characteristics Essential
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to inspire others
- Ability to provide good clinical leadership
- Ability to effect change
- Ability to negotiate and collaborate with first, second and third sector organisations to identify shared agendas and meet common goals
- Personal experience of mental illness
- Personal experience of social distress
- Evidence of helping others who have suffered physical, mental or social misfortune
- Primary Medical degree
- Full GMC registration
- MRCPsych, or equivalent
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register for General Adult Psychiatry or eligible for such inclusion on the Specialist Registrar within three months of completing their CST.
- Section 12 (2) approval of the Mental Health Act
- Qualifications in Old Age Psychiatry, or other specialism.
- Qualification in a talking therapy such as CBT, DIT or MBT
- Qualifications in change management and service development skills
Knowledge and Critical Experience Essential
- Completed minimum of three years full time training in approved higher psychiatric training scheme
- A detailed knowledge of main treatment approaches for severe mental illness including psychopharmacological interventions
- Knowledge and experience of the CPA process, risk assessment and risk management
- Experience of teaching medical and non-medical staff, including those who may not have a formal qualification
Management and Audit Essential
- Ability to enhance specialty of mental health care provided
- Commitment to developing practice through clinical audit and, or research
- Commitment to working with allied agencies including carer's groups, and local charities
- Experience of service planning and development
- Experience of working with third sector partners
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.