This is an opportunity for an experienced and innovative Occupational Therapist to provide Clinical Leadership in the delivery of Occupational Therapy in Pembrokeshire. The acute team in Withybush Hospital, Haverfordwest, provides specialist Occupational Therapy assessment and treatment to a variety of wards for acutely unwell and often frail inpatients, which includes Medicine, Surgery, Trauma and Orthopaedics and Frailty.
The successful candidate for this post will need to be self-motivated, forward thinking and committed to learning. You should have advanced clinical knowledge, risk assessment skills and Manual Handling experience.
Main duties of the job
You will have a flexible approach to work and be an organised individual with excellent time management skills in order to manage a complex caseload, oversee the handover process and guide appropriate, relevant clinical discussions effectively as the team priorities change frequently throughout the day.
You will be able to represent Occupational Therapy in discussions with key stakeholders and promote service development aimed at improving patient outcomes, experience and flow throughout the Hospital.
We are therefore seeking to appoint a proactive, motivated and compassionate individual, with demonstrable experience in health care, who displays a broad knowledge of clinical specialities, and whose values are aligned to those of Hywel Dda University Health Board:
Putting people at the heart of everything that we do
Working together to be the best that we can be
Striving to deliver and develop excellent service
Pembrokeshire is an area of outstanding natural beauty with access to a wide variety of outdoor activities and cultural events, and is part of Hywel Dda University Health Board, a leading example of a rural healthcare model, offering excellent opportunities to develop skills in this area of practice.
Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest;Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire; Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion; and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire;48 general practices (four of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres;Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services;Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales
Job description Job responsibilities
You will be able to find a full job description and person specification attached within the supporting documents.
The Health Board is committed to supporting its staff to fully embrace the need for bilingualism thereby enhancing patient and service user experiences. In our commitment to increase the number of staff who are able to communicate in Welsh with patients and professionals, we welcome applications from Welsh speakers.
The ability to communicate in Welsh is desirable for this post. If you do not meet the Welsh Language requirements specified, the Health Board offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal desirable requirements during the course of your employment with us.
As 7 day services are being developed, applicants must be prepared to work as part of a rota over 7 days. The post holder will be expected to travel between sites to visit patients at home. Mileage allowance is payable, pool cars and a lease car scheme is available.
Person Specification Qualifications & Knowledge Essential
- Degree or recognised equivalent in Occupational Therapy
- Current professional registration with HCPC.
- Substantial postgraduate education within relevant clinical area at Masters level or can demonstrate equivalent knowledge
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and application in practice
- Substantial clinical knowledge relevant to role
- Knowledge of research/audit/evaluation methodology
- Post-graduate qualification up to post grad diploma level in relevant area
- MSc within relevant specialty
- Clinical/Practice Education Training Course.
- Member of professional body/Specialist Interest Group
- Evidence of leadership courses/ qualifications
- Significant post-graduate experience working as an occupational therapist; including relevant experience in specialist field.
- Managing a complex caseload using an advanced clinical reasoning process.
- Significant experience in multi disciplinary team working.
- Experience in undertaking risk assessments, including therapeutic handling and risk assessments
- Evidence of supporting service compliance with clinical governance requirements.
- Experience in assisting in leading service development
- Experience in leading and developing staff
- Experience in presenting within clinical area
- Managing a team
- Experience of service development across professional boundaries
- Experience of health promotion and preventative developments within service
- Teaching & educational assessment experience
- Leadership of clinical networks/ clinical practice groups
- Performance management of individuals
- Ability to travel between sites in a timely manner
- Flexible approach to needs of the service
- Wide range of interests, i.e. member of special interest group.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.