We are looking to welcome a Band 6 Speech and Language Therapist to join our friendly School's Team of therapists and associate practitioners.
This is a Fixed Term 11 month Maternity Leave Cover
We are a long established Service with excellent collaborative working with the Local Authority SEND teams and schools. Our role is to enable and empower schools to create and sustain communication supportive environments, to develop the knowledge and skills base of their teaching and support staff and to develop targeted and specialist provision for pupils with identified SLCN. This is achieved through a combination of consultation, training, assessment and intervention packages. You will have a locality of schools to care for as part of the role alongside working with colleagues on service developments.
Main duties of the job
We place high emphasis on clinical supervision and well being to support you in your role and to reflect and learn with colleagues who highly value both clinical and personal development as well as supporting you to be able to use your creative thinking to contribute towards service development.
You will have a personalised CDP budget that is identified through appraisal and access to other colleagues working in schools as part of the CNWL Trust. In return, you should be forward thinking, embrace change and value making a difference to the lives of the children and families you support. We expect a dedicated and highly motivated practitioner with a passion for working with children.
You will also have RCSLT membership and HCPC registration. You will have excellent time management skills, interpersonal communication and a drive and enthusiasm to deliver exemplary, child-focussed care for all our children and families.
We are committed to ongoing development, embracing change and innovation and driven by evidence based practices. Our collaborative working practices and service delivery model support us in our vision to achieve the best possible outcomes for children and young people with SLCN in Milton Keynes. We have 2 Associate Practitioners within this team to support the work of the SLTs and continue to develop an on-line offer for schools and parents.
The Trust has an extensive range of employee benefits available and you will be fully supported with a comprehensive welcome induction into the service. Milton Keynes is a growing and vibrant city with easy access to the M1 and superb facilities in terms of everyday living and leisure activities. It is a leafy, green city with many parklands alongside the famous concrete cows! The surrounding areas also provide affordable accommodation. It is easy to get around by car and you generally will not have to travel more than 15 minutes to appointments thanks to the dual roads and grid system.
Access to own transport is essential as you will be travelling around the locality as part of your job role.
Job description Job responsibilities
As an NHS Trust we strongly encourage and support vaccination as this remains the best way to protect yourself, your family, your colleagues and of course patients and service users when working on our healthcare settings.
- To independently provide assessment, diagnosis and appropriate speech and language therapy intervention for children with speech, language and communication needs, and oral stage eating and drinking difficulties, in a range of Education settings
- To provide advice and support to parents/carers, non-specialists, Education staff and other specialist professionals working with children in a range of SLCN in both Health and Education.
- To be an effective member of the SLT team and the broader multidisciplinary team
- To participate in service development
- To undertake other duties, as requested by the line manager to ensure the efficient, effective running of the SLT Service
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Recognised Speech and Language Therapy Degree Qualification ( or equivalent)
- RCSLT and HCPC registration
- Experience of multidisciplinary working
- Degree level 2:1 or above/equivalent
- Post qualification paediatric experience
- Experience in mainstream schools
- Clinical experience with school-aged children
- Holds a UK driving license, has use of own car and able to travel across Milton Keynes as required
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.