Path 2 Recovery have a rare opportunity that has arisen due to service redesign. We seek to recruit x 2 physical health nurses to join our dedicated drugs and alcohol team. Path to Recovery (P2R) is a community drug and alcohol service in Bedford Borough and Central Bedfordshire. P2R delivers a range of services to individuals. The aim of the service is to enable patients to make better choices about their wellbeing, to achieve a better quality of life and wellbeing and fulfil their ambitions for recovery. P2R is committed to working in partnership.
Physical health interventions are a key part of drug & alcohol treatment. P2R patients typically engage poorly with primary care. Alongside harmful drug & alcohol use, this can result in multiple health difficulties. The role of Physical Healthcare Nurse is to hold part of that role, whilst encouraging the healthy use of primary care.
Key duties are: General physical health assessments and interventions Specific assessments and interventions for drug and alcohol use Virology testing Vaccination Following pathways into secondary and primary care Engaging patients into health assessment, interventions, and learning to care for their own health Working together with recovery workers and other clinical staff in the team Pragmatic and flexible thinking
Main duties of the job
To engaging patients into health assessment, interventions, and learning to care for their own health
To provide general physical health assessments eg screening for hypertension, diabetes, chest infection. It is the aim that all P2R patients have a full assessment of their general health.
To provide general physical health interventions. Taking action where required - referral on, monitoring, treating
To provide specific assessments based on drug and alcohol use eg injecting harm, wound care, liver disease, gastro disease, breathing disorders, sexual transmitted diseases
To provide specific interventions based on drug and alcohol use - referral on, monitoring, treating
To provide harm reduction advice, health promotion and health education to patients
To carry out other interventions such as pregnancy testing and wound care
To provide screening (and diagnosis and treatment, depending on skillset) for sexually transmitted infections
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations
Job description Job responsibilities
Please could you kindly refer to the job description and person specification attached to this vacancy.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- Registered General Nurse
- Evidence of portfolio of personal development
- Medical nursing experience with transferable skills
- Working with people who use drugs or alcohol
- Delivering training
- Championing health initiatives/pathways
- Primary Care Practice Nurse
- Working with Patient Group Directions
- Sexual health services
- Tissue Viability services
- Liver disease services
- Sound general medical knowledge
- Wound management
- Contraception management
- Phlebotomy skills
- Dealing with challenging behaviour
- IT literacy
- Ability to work well as a team
- Ability to empower service users
- Effective communication skills, verbal and written.
- Ability to respond flexibly to the demands of the service.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries
- Ability to work effectively with other agencies
- Liver disease management
- Chest Infections - identification and treatment
- Complications of injecting drug use
- Harm reduction in a drug and alcohol service
- Effects of drug and alcohol use on health
- Statutory responsibilities like Safeguarding Children and Adults
- Understanding and commitment to Equality and Diversity.
- NMC code
- Liver disease
- Sexual health services
- Motivated to providing the highest standards of care
- Awareness of equal opportunities
- Able to work within the accountability framework
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.