We are currently looking for a permanent full time General Adult Consultant PsychiatristInpatient Service - Female Ward Full time:
40 Hours per week (10 PAs) + on call supplement
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated and dynamic individual to provide high quality care to patients with acute and chronic psychiatric conditions, ensuring that assessment of interventions are provided in a sensitive, accessible and culturally appropriate way.
The post is based on the hospital campus at Milton Keynes University Hospital and there is office space and administration support for this post. There is a large faculty of consultants across mental health and a comprehensive program of professional development to which the successful candidate will have access. A personal budget for CPD is allocated to each consultant annually. There is also access to apply for CEA awards.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will provide strategic leadership for the performance culture of the ward, ensuring best practice is employed across the facility, and that the Trust's quality and productivity targets are met.
Together with the ward manager, the post holder will provide overall clinical leadership for the ward multidisciplinary team as well as direct clinical assessments and consultations for the team, including the following:
- Medical input, consultation and clinical leadership to the locality ward and overall clinical responsibility for all patients admitted to the unit.
- Medical input and leadership in care planning and risk assessment for patients subject to the care plan approach (CPA) process.
- Clinical supervision of trainees and specialty doctors working with the team.
- Responsible Clinician responsibilities.
- Regular clinical liaison with community mental health teams.
Being part of a large and diverse London based Trust enables clinicians to access alternative learning and experience opportunities.
The main admissions sources are from the patient's place of residence, other psychiatric wards from within CNWL and NHS wards for general patients or A&E. The main discharge destinations are other psychiatric wards from within CNWL and the usual place of residence.
Inpatient care is delivered by an integrated multi-disciplinary team with a shared sense of ownership for the ward environment as well as the clinical services provided. The post holder will adopt a pragmatic leadership style as a way of promoting this type of ward environment, thus ensuring collaborative working both at a clinical and an operational level.
The ward team work in close collaboration with the Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Team who gate keep for the ward and also support discharge. They also liaise with the community teams to ensure ongoing interventions can be maintained post discharge.
Milton Keynes Specialist Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) covers the whole area of Milton Keynes with all referrals received into the single point of access in the service. This is believed to be the best way to give greatest flexibility in case management and provision of service to children, young people and their families and carers.
In Milton Keynes, CNWL are responsible for the provision of mental health services for children and young people, adults and older adults. We jointly run the learning disability services with the local authority.
Job description Job responsibilities
The post holder will be expected to lead on, in partnership with the modern matron, quality improvement initiatives and service evaluation projects and will be encouraged to undertake any research and audit that may be relevant, to either short or long-term service improvement.
As a new consultant in the team you will be offered a place on the Management and Leadership Course run by the Trust, in conjunction with Imperial College. The Trust also has a partnership with the Institute of Healthcare Improvement (IHI), giving you the opportunity to gain knowledge in improvement science and enhance your skills and confidence to understand healthcare systems and successfully implement change.
The successful applicants will be eligible to apply for relocation support in line with the Trusts Removal Expenses Policy.
Person Specification Qualifications Essential
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- ?Qualification or higher degree in medical education, clinical research or management
- CCT accreditation in either CAMHS or Learning Disabilities or within six months of achieving CCT
- ?Additional clinical qualifications.
- ?Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment.
- ?Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months
- ?Approved clinician status
- ?Approved under S12
- ?In good standing with GMC with respect to warning and conditions on practice
- ?Holds and will use valid UK driving licence OR provides evidence of proposed alternative
CLINICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE Essential
- ?Excellent knowledge in acute care with an interest in working with females presenting with complex mental health disorders
- ?Excellent clinical skills using bio-psycho-social perspective and wide medical knowledge
- ?Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- ?Able to manage clinical complexity and uncertainty
- ?Makes decisions based on evidence and experience including the contribution of others
- ?Able to meet duties under MHA and MCA
- ?Excellent leadership and multi-disciplinary working skills
- ?Experience of using quality improvement methodology and service development
- ?Wide range of specialist and sub-specialist experience relevant to post within NHS or comparable service
ACADEMIC SKILLS & LIFELONG LEARNING Essential
- ?Able to deliver undergraduate or postgraduate teaching and training
- ?Participated in continuous professional development
- ?Participated in research or service evaluation.
- ?Able to use and appraise clinical evidence.
- ?Has actively participated in clinical audit.
- ?Supervisory and management experience.
- ?Able to plan and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training relevant to this post
- ?Reflected on purpose of CPD undertaken
- ?Experienced in clinical research and / or service evaluation.
- ?Evidence of achievement in education, research, audit and service improvement: awards, prizes, presentations and publications.
- ?Has led clinical audits leading to service change.
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.