We are looking to recruit either an enthusiastic NQP or an experiencedspeech and language therapist with experience and a passion forworking with adults who have a learning disability. This post will bebased in Bedfordshire to cover areas in Luton, Bedford and CentralBedfordshire. You will be working as part of a small innovative andsupportive team of Speech and language therapists within a dynamicmultidisciplinary team providing community services for adults who havea learning disability.
You should be able to demonstrate an interest or experience of workingwith complex communication needs, challenging behaviour, AAC and beable to use an inclusive communication approach to develop care plansto support individuals communication needs.
This is a developmental post which will be able to support access to postgraduate Dysphagia training after the first year in post if this is required.We are able to offer you a friendly and supportive team environment withregular supervision meetings, multidisciplinary working, regular teammeetings and an opportunity to develop your personal and clinical skillsthrough a range of learning experiences including internal and externaltraining, CPD programme and attendance at CEN's.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will manage and prioritise a defined caseload and work with an appropriate degree of autonomy and independence, with regular support/supervision, with adults with learning disabilities. Working across outpatient department, nursing homes, colleges, community homes and patients own homes.
The post holder will be expected:
- To provide a Specialist Service to people who have a Learning Disability with communication and/or swallowing difficulties within the Bedfordshire and Luton area and their staff/carers.
- To identify, assess and diagnose a range of communication impairments and select appropriate clients and type of therapy for effective treatment.
- To continue to develop clinical skills and professional knowledge through experience, training and supervision.
- To take part in the supervision of students.
- To take part in supervision of the work of SLT Assistants and volunteers when required.
- To take part in the development and delivery of training to others.
Our mission is to make a positive difference to people's lives by improving the quality of life for all we serve. Our values are: We Care, We Respect, We are Inclusive - so we are looking for people who live and breathe these qualities when supporting service users and carers, and in their relationships with colleagues in the Trust and our partner organisations
Job description Job responsibilities
Please kindly refer to the job description and person specification attached to this vacancy for further information.
Person Specification Educational/Qualification Essential
- Recognised SLT Degree or equivalent Health Professions
- Registered member of Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
- Council Licence to Practice
- Relevant experience of assessment and intervention in adults with learning disabilities
- Knowledge of a range of communication assessments and appropriate therapeutic interventions for adults with learning disabilities
- Awareness of the principles of clinical governance/audit
- Negotiation and problem solving skills
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.