Registered Nurse holding current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). The post holder will have an extensive knowledge and awareness of the needs of people with drug, alcohol and mental health problems as well as having proven experience of working with individuals with alcohol and drug problems.
The post holder will be required to be a registered independent prescriber who has a proven history of providing prescribing interventions to individuals with a history of substance misuse. The role will require the applicant to have good communication skills, effective leadership skills and experience of working independently as well as part of a team.
Main duties of the job
Working within the team, the post holder will provide assessments and develop treatment care packages for patients in accordance with the role of an Independent Prescriber.
They will act as a source of expertise providing a key role in the development of evidenced based clinical practice within the service; this will involve the provision of training and education on drug/alcohol related issues. The post holder will ensure good practice is established and evaluated.
The post holder will work collaboratively with other disciplines and teams to ensure there is effective liaison and communication between all areas of the organisations contracted service delivery. As a senior member of the team the post holder will need to demonstrate sound leadership skills and be able to manage high levels of responsibility.
There are challenging performance targets to be met as part of our services contracted performance expectation the nurse prescriber will assist the Team Leaders and Senior Operational Manager (SOM) in achieving these targets.
The post holder will liaise effectively with other agencies including health care providers, social care and voluntary / third sector agencies.
Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust is a major employer and provider of services. Our Service Users, Carers and Staff are central, and our Values are important, to the delivery of high-quality care. We actively seek out individuals who share these values:
- Working together for service users
- Respect and kindness
- Everyone counts
- Commitment to quality
- Improving lives
Job description Job responsibilities
- To Independently prescribe and review prescriptions within the scope of Sheffield Health and Social Care Trust, local service Medicines and Nurse Prescribing Policies.
- To establish and maintain effective liaison with GP Colleagues including GP practices and mental health services.
- To implement and uphold clinical policies and procedures that promote best practice and effective management in conjunction with SOM/Clinical Director
- To implement evidence-based treatments based on a formulation of the clients needs.
- To co-ordinate the initiation and follow up of treatment for service users, establishing mechanisms by which each service user has a coherent and comprehensive management plan. These plans will be developed with the service user and carer according to their needs and include referral to other disciplines and services, observing the principles of holistic care.
- To evaluate and review treatment at appropriate intervals using both clients reports and validated standardised measurement tools.
- To work in partnership with patients and their relatives where appropriate to support their engagement in treatment.
- To provide progress reports and maintain effective communication and liaison with relevant professionals/agencies.
- To maintain appropriate health records as per the service and Trust policy.
- To manage a patient caseload (as a prescriber).
- To provide risk management and decision making regarding the management of unplanned patient clinical need via a duty service.
- To attend and participate in Multi-disciplinary team meetings and training sessions as required.
- To provide specialist assessment (SPAR) and to be a specialist resource to other nurses/workers within the team
- Comply with AUDIT C screening (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test), supported by the use of agreed validated screening tools
- To utilise all screening tools as part of assessment and evaluation of patient care.
- Utilise ITEP 2 and BTEI 3 based interventions as necessary.
. To promote and deliver harm reduction advice, Blood Borne Virus screening and vaccination services. To participate in clinical and professional meetings outside of substance misuse services in order to provide specialist advice and facilitate cross-referrals. To represent and promote all aspects of the substance misuse service, both locally and nationally. To support the development of services in collaboration with the Substance Misuse management team, promoting continuity along the service user pathway, liaising where appropriate with other care settings and professionals. To be involved in the annual review of all written information available for service user and carers, ensuring these are offered and are accessible at all points of the pathway of care. To take an active role in clinical developments and practices across the service. To maintain security and confidentiality of information in clinical records relating to clients utilising IT systems. To actively promote professional growth within the staff team via provision of clinical supervision, teaching, case discussion and mentoring. To participate and deliver clinical and managerial supervision and annual appraisal of senior nursing staff. To provide cross cover for members of the clinical leadership team and deputise for the Team Leader/SOM as necessary or directed. To liaise with the management team to provide a safe and effective service for service users and achieves performance targets. To maintain and provide relevant statistics about activities as required by commissioners, Trust, Regional and National organisations. To act as a role model to all professions caring for service user with drug/alcohol related disease, establishing effective and positive leadership. To provide professional / clinical support to other non medical prescribers/colleagues that enhances their functioning within START Services
Person Specification Experience Essential
- prescribing within substance misuse
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.