Specialty Doctor - Older Person's Assessment Service (TOPAS), Milton Keynes
We are seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic Specialty Doctor to work at The Older Person's Assessment Service (TOPAS) in Milton Keynes.
Main duties of the job Duties of the Post
TOPAS is a modern 15-bedded unit providing assessment and treatment predominately for older people with complex or acute mental health needs or organic presentations, enabling a return to independent living wherever possible. The ward is staffed 24 hours a day and the team consist of nurses and occupational therapists, with regular access and contact with psychology, physio, dietician and pharmacy staff. The post-holder will be part of a medical team consisting of a Consultant Psychiatrist and up to two Trainee Doctors.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated, energetic and passionate about delivering high quality care to older adult patients.
The position requires full GMC registration and we are looking for a candidate with at least three years' experience in general adult psychiatry. The post-holder will contribute to and help the trainees with their development as well as contribute to cover when the consultant is on leave. Applicants should have experience of team working, possess sound organisation skills and be able to work on their own initiative. Effective communication, compassion and empathy are essential skills for this role.
CNWL is one of the largest trusts in the UK, caring for people with a wide range of physical and mental health needs. Our services are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
Additional opportunities for the post-holder:
- Attendance at the Oxford MRCPsych courses for those who intend to sit the RCPsych examinations
- One to one supervision with a Consultant
- Participation in local CPD activities
- This post is designed to equip doctors who want to develop toward further progression in their professional career through multiple opportunities. From this post you may gain up to four referees required for application to Article 14 if the post-holder is willing to apply to the Specialist Register
Job description Job responsibilities
The Specialty Doctor appointed will have a continuing responsibility for the care of patients in their charge and for supporting proper functioning of the department.
They will also undertake the administrative duties associated with the care of their patients and the running of the department.
The Specialty Doctor will be indemnified by the Trust for all NHS work undertaken as part of their conditions of employment. However, in certain circumstances (especially regarding services for which the post-holder receives a separate fee), the Specialty Doctor may not be covered by the indemnity. Medical staff are therefore advised to maintain membership of a medical defence organisation.
The appointment is offered subject to a satisfactory Occupational Health clearance. A satisfactory medical examination is a condition for employment for medical and dental staff in the NHS. Therefore, the successful candidate may be required to undergo such an examination unless a satisfactory one has been carried out within the last twelve months by the Trust.
Person Specification Education and Qualifications Essential
- Primary Medical Degree
- Full GMC Registration
- GMC Licence to Practise
- MRCPsych (or equivalent)
- Section 12 MHA Approved
- An additional post graduate qualification of relevance to (own specialty)
Experience, Skills and Abilities Essential
- Experience as a fixed term trainee or as a Specialty Doctor on a part time or flexible basis in the field of general adult psychiatry.
Personal Skills & Qualities Essential
- Excellent communication and empathic skills
- Timely and effective verbal and written communication skills with patients, carers, colleagues and multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrable leadership skills
- Experience of team working
- Sound organisational skills
- Ability to work on own initiative
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.